4A mode: Pulls way to hard to the right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a sticky hub. At least, that's what it sounds like to me. Find a parking lot and roll the windows down. Put truck in 4A. At a slow speed (moving but less than 10-15mph), make a left 180deg turn and then a right 180deg turn. Listen for noises. If you hear any grinding, popping, or tapping/knocking coming from the wheels it's probably a hub assembly.

Merman

Reaction score
I have a 2020 and just noticed this happening to me today. Since I purchased the truck new it would seem to try to center itself in 4A under acceleration but not pull one way or the other. Now it wants to pull so hard it will take you off the road if you aren't ready for it. I have not done anything that I can say may have caused this.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 and just noticed this happening to me today. Since I purchased the truck new it would seem to try to center itself in 4A under acceleration but not pull one way or the other. Now it wants to pull so hard it will take you off the road if you aren't ready for it. I have not done anything that I can say may have caused this.
Which direction does yours pull?

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a sticky hub. At least, that's what it sounds like to me. Find a parking lot and roll the windows down. Put truck in 4A. At a slow speed (moving but less than 10-15mph), make a left 180deg turn and then a right 180deg turn. Listen for noises. If you hear any grinding, popping, or tapping/knocking coming from the wheels it's probably a hub assembly.
I'll check this and report back.

pavendort

Reaction score
I have been having this problem lately. Would always torque steer under hard acceleration. But now any throttle at all and it is pulling hard right. Nothing changed, no new tires or rotation. Just suddenly started. I am assuming one of the IWE is stuck disengaged. One thing I have noticed is that at parking lot speeds I get a knocking sound like tie rod end or ball joint. I wonder if the IWE could make that sound.

Merman

Reaction score
I have been having this problem lately. Would always torque steer under hard acceleration. But now any throttle at all and it is pulling hard right. Nothing changed, no new tires or rotation. Just suddenly started. I am assuming one of the IWE is stuck disengaged. One thing I have noticed is that at parking lot speeds I get a knocking sound like tie rod end or ball joint. I wonder if the IWE could make that sound.
Same exact deal here. I haven't heard any strange noises though.

weakssauce

Reaction score
100% a IWE issue. It is pulling to the right because thats the hub thats working. the left hub has a bad solenoid or broken vacuum line etc so so its not engaged when you put it in 4wd.

Get the repair manual on alldatadiy or mitchelle1 and start doing some troubleshooting or take it to a mechanic shouldnt cost too much money.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% a IWE issue. It is pulling to the right because thats the hub thats working. the left hub has a bad solenoid or broken vacuum line etc so so its not engaged when you put it in 4wd.

Get the repair manual on alldatadiy or mitchelle1 and start doing some troubleshooting or take it to a mechanic shouldnt cost too much money.

Ok, now I've got something to go on. I'll look closer into it.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I had a IWE issue, but I drove the truck from work to make sure it was warmed up and didn't shut it down. Put it in 4A and put my phone on the ground to record a video of me "running over it". Both axles were spinning, took it out of 4A and the fronts were not spinning. I figured at this point that I didn't have an IWE issue, I could be wrong though.