4A/4H pulls to the left when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm probably thinking way down the line here, but what happens if they can't fix it? And/or how long can this go on for (holding my truck and not fixing it)?

I had an SA tell me that they had a vehicle in the shop that had been there for nine months. I think he was trying to make me feel better about his two week estimate. Which turned into two months. Plus he was a pathological liar, so it could have been BS. Based on stories here, months and months is not out of the question.

OP
OP
970rap

970rap

Reaction score
From your feedback on what's happened, the dealer goons have yet to do any actual diagnostics. They are throwing parts at it hoping it will go away. Ford "engineering" is also allowing this fiasco to progress. There is NO magic in this, so the technicians with hands-on should easily determine the problem, if there really is one, and the fix should be easy. Vehicle functions are basic physics, no voodoo or other magic spells.

If the problem isn't obvious in the mechanics of the front steering/drive systems, then the only thing left is the electric power steering unit itself. The rack and the steering wheel have position sensors that provide data. Does your truck have the reverse steering knob and the trailer "back-up" mode? Does it work precisely? Your situation is more common than people know. It is all driven by the Ford flat-rate warranty work that doesn't allow time for actual diagnostics, so the majority of the technicians really don't know how the various vehicle functions work and can't perform real diagnostics.

@FordTechOne may have some better insight, but I speak from 40 years of buying new vehicles and dealing with various warranty issues.
I agree, you'd think there is an order of operations here and one could eventually rule out one issue after another. I'm holding out hope that that still happens. Yes, it has the reverse trailer steering knob (it's an 802A) although I've never used it (bought used at 18K miles, 9K miles ago).

Thanks for the other feedback. Sounds like I may be in for the long haul here...

EnriqueG_s550

Reaction score
Welp, still dealing with this issue. Monday will mark 5 weeks at the dealership. To recap, they initially said it was something to do with the IWE system (they did not specify and I didn't ask, my service adviser isn't the best at being specific about what's going on). After fixing whatever they thought was the issue the adviser communicated that now it pulls to the opposite side. I am not sure if this is truly the case or if he just misremembered which side it was pulling to to begin with. At this point I informed them that I had recently purchased and installed new (KO2) tires, in the event that one may be defective. The adviser said he would pass that on to the techs. After further investigation they decided it was the front differential, which required a full tear down to investigate.

That brings us to the last few weeks. After taking apart the diff they told me they found metal in it so they replaced various pieces/parts. Again, the adviser was not specific about what was done here. They then put it all back together and claimed that a 'sound' was still present in the front diff, which needed further investigation. They couldn't find anything so they contacted 'Ford Engineering' to provide input about what to do next. We seemed to be going down a rabbit hole here, at which point I inquired about whether the initial problem I brought it in for (pulling to the left in 4A/4H) was fixed. The adviser told me that it was better (lol), but still pulled to the side.

After some time Ford advised them to rotate the tires, check the alignment, and check the ride height. They did this and found nothing wrong and have said they've provided all the documentation/info back to Ford for further instruction about what to do. I pressed them on the new tires and whether they've tried moving them around, to which the adviser said the techs have done this without anything changing.

They have no idea what is causing this or how to fix it (my inference based on the circumstances, they haven't used those exact words verbatim). I'm also not clear about whether we're still dealing with the initial problem (I think so) or a 'noise'. They've given me a loaner, which I am thankful for. The adviser, besides never getting back to me with an update when he says he will and being vague in those updates when I eventually call, has been nice to deal with. I get the sense they are frustrated and want this thing gone. Of course I am frustrated and want it back, but only if it's fixed. Ugh.

I'm probably thinking way down the line here, but what happens if they can't fix it? And/or how long can this go on for (holding my truck and not fixing it)?

Hello i know this discussion has been quiet for a while but did you ever get a fix on this problem? just noticed my 2017 is doing this exact thing... thanks in advance

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
pretty normal.. if you put the steering in comfort mode, its not as bad. also, only happens on high traction surfaces, so in the snow, and dirt, it goes away

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have also the torsen on my 20's scab, and in 4WD , nothing anormal, everything is smooth and straight.
Off course I feel a difference than 2WD , what is just normal in my case !

RedPanda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Restarting this thread. My 2017 having same exact issue after tire rotation. IWE system just recently serviced, replacing valved and both front L and R actuators. Truck still pulls (only in 4x4) to the left, and only the left.

Took the truck back to Discount Tire, asked them to swap front tires from side to side, so I can see if the pulling changed directions. Sure enough, the truck only pulls to the right now, in the same force and manner it did prior direction when the tires were flipped. Discount Tire needs to order another BFG K02 (none in stock), and said they'll swap just one side of the truck's tires to see if the pulling stops. That way we can identify if it's the front R or front L tire that's defective, and replace it.

My question is - am I okay with just replacing 1 tire? The others are only about 8k miles old but wondering if that would create issues down the road (pun intended).

Hope this helps anyone else having the same issue, I was starting to pull my hair out thinking I was crazy.

OP
OP
970rap

970rap

Reaction score
I am the OP and yes, I eventually figured it out on my own after Ford gave it back to be saying it must be a tire balancing issue. Discount Tire put 2 load range C and 2 E on! They ended up replacing the entire set and gave me a credit towards a future purchase. And the funny thing is I checked one tire after the purchase and it was a C, like I had ordered. Definitely going to check all of them next time.

EnriqueG_s550

Reaction score
I am the OP and yes, I eventually figured it out on my own after Ford gave it back to be saying it must be a tire balancing issue. Discount Tire put 2 load range C and 2 E on! They ended up replacing the entire set and gave me a credit towards a future purchase. And the funny thing is I checked one tire after the purchase and it was a C, like I had ordered. Definitely going to check all of them next time.
Holy shit I just looked at my tires I have 3 load range E and 1 load range C the load range C is on my passenger side and my truck pulls to the driver side.... just saved me a ton of trouble shooting thank you

funk74

Reaction score
Same issue I was having on a 2019. Just got new tires and had the spare put up front passengers side. No issues before. Now the car started pulling to the L during any acceleration. put the spare back in its place and used the new tire. Back to normal. Also the new tires from Discount tire were same as the OEM's.

So I don't think it's a feature, it's a flaw.