2013 ...Is this the year for the ecoboost Raptor ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RevlimitrSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding was Ford intends to have an eco boost engine option for every segment or their product range including the eventual development of an ecoboost V-8 for the commercial truck line... which I figured would make it into a Raptor if they ever developed it.As far as the EB V-6 is concerned I'm not ready to write it off yet, I'm more interested in seeing how it develops over the next few years.

Drewa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A turbo V8 with over 700HP and say 800ft/lbs of torque sound nice to me. If it means 10 mpg that's okay, it will fell nice every time I drop my right foot to the floor, and will tow my travel trailer effortlessly.

Ranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now let's use some logic... MOST Eco f150's are considerably lighter than Raptors and ALL F150's are 7 inches narrower. A larger front profile and more weight will absolutely have a negative impact on mpg's.

An Eco Raptor wont get 20mpg, or 18mpg - how do I know this? Because the Eco FX4 guys with a lift and 35's are getting between 15-17mpgs and they are 500-800lbs lighter with a smaller front profile.

I'm not sure why anyone would be asking for a Raptor with very similar mpg's and less power.

I had a 30 minute conversation with a Ford Ecoboost engineer at the Toronto Autoshow on the weekend. I will admit I was not a fan of the engine until after the conversation, the engineer totally sold me on the design and reliability of the motor and turbo. He did say pretty much exactly what WarSurfer is saying. He said the ecoboost has the power and torque to do the job on the Raptor, but he said due to the size of the truck and wheels, and gearing that it would not get significantly better mileage than the 6.2 V8. He also said he's heard nothing about putting the ecoboost into the Raptor.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a 30 minute conversation with a Ford Ecoboost engineer at the Toronto Autoshow on the weekend. I will admit I was not a fan of the engine until after the conversation, the engineer totally sold me on the design and reliability of the motor and turbo. He did say pretty much exactly what WarSurfer is saying. He said the ecoboost has the power and torque to do the job on the Raptor, but he said due to the size of the truck and wheels, and gearing that it would not get significantly better mileage than the 6.2 V8. He also said he's heard nothing about putting the ecoboost into the Raptor.

So what'd he say that made a non-believer into a believer? Sure, they can tell you it's all warm and fuzzy inside, but did he tell you the negatives as well (if there are any...)?

Ranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what'd he say that made a non-believer into a believer? Sure, they can tell you it's all warm and fuzzy inside, but did he tell you the negatives as well (if there are any...)?

Well he talks about the ecoboost motor with 163000 miles they put into a truck they raced at baha, I'm sure we've all seen that video on youtube, but if you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4WF8Oe3wYQ

And how after all the torture tests the teardown revealed specifications still within brand new. But the kicker for me was the actual design of how the turbo is cooled. It's designed so that instantly at startup it's getting oil, and you can run it hard then shut it off without a cool down and it keeps getting cooled even after the engine is shut off. He said they are cooled so efficiently they will easily last 500000 miles. (both engine and turbo)

He also said not to listen to any automakers claims about extended oil change intervals. He insisted on changing oil every 5000-7500km to ensure long life from an engine. (3000-4700 miles)

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^ That's actually really cool. I didn't know that the turbo was still cooled even though the engine was shut off. I'm interested in seeing how that actually works

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Thanks for posting that :)

I think if someone wants the Eco / Raptor combo AND decent mpg's they should start with a WT RCLB, they are 1000lbs (that's right, 1000lbs) lighter than a Raptor. Bob the bed and install the long travel goodies.

With that combo 15-16 mpg on average should be easily attainable, though I think the fun factor would outweigh any mpg concerns.

Ranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that :)

I think if someone wants the Eco / Raptor combo AND decent mpg's they should start with a WT RCLB, they are 1000lbs (that's right, 1000lbs) lighter than a Raptor. Bob the bed and install the long travel goodies.

With that combo 15-16 mpg on average should be easily attainable, though I think the fun factor would outweigh any mpg concerns.

Pardon my ignorance... what the heck is a WT RCLB?