Would You Pay More for An Item if Made in The U.S.

Would You Pay More for An Item Made In The U.S.

• Yes, I'd pay more

Votes: 44 78.6%
  • No, I don't care where it's made

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'd prefer it were made in the U.S., but I wouldn't pay more for it

Votes: 10 17.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you pay more for an Item if it were made in the U.S.?

1. Yes I'd Pay More
  2. No I Don't Care where it is made
  3. I'd Prefer it was made in the U.S., but I would NOT pay more for it
***Assuming the Quality is EXACTLY the Same***

Last edited:

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how much more are we talking? And is it like chinese vs. american made sunglasses or chinese vs. american made lifts and jack stands.

How much more I'm willing to pay depends on if I'm trusting my life to it or not.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
exactly, its all about build quality. i still cant seem to understand how shipping parts to a foreign country to have them assemble it and then ship it back is cheaper than just keeping the parts here and assembling them. i buy a lot of snap on and matco tools because they make specialty tools, but they are a bit pricey, to to offset that cost, i buy all craftsman sockets, wrenches, ratchets, and other small stuff mainly because they get lost (not broken). and to replace them is a lot cheaper than snap on or matco. would never buy that chrome vandium set at the local parts store that has no name. the only other markings are "made in china" so you dont know what you are getting. dont get me wrong, look at the idevices, they are all made in china, but the company that oversees the process (apple) makes sure that they are built right. but i guess government regulations make it cheaper to outsource it instead.

its a very fine line to walk when discussing domestic and foreign built products. there are the good and the bad, its all about the parent company and their qcc's

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll pay nearly double to get something outside of Walmart.

I don't think American made is always better; I agree that's it's quality I'm after, not just the cheapest (and thus neither necessarily made here).

I will, however, buy Kentucky products with great preference.

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll qualify my 'Yes' vote by saying, I'd be willing to pay a LITTLE bit more if were made in America and had the same quality as the Chinese version. I would pay quite a bit more if it were made in the USA and had old school USA quality.

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
American and local all the way. What's a country, if it doesnt produce things? So a contractor installs a bathroom in a doctors house, and the contractor uses that doctor as his family doctor, so all we do is hand money back and forth to one another? I think its absolutely critical to purchase American goods, and I have never seen a better quality Chinese product anyways.

OP
OP
Fred

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How come Apple gets a pass for most of their products produced overseas, specifically the iPhone 5...or maybe they don't?

Sent from iPad 3 using Tapatalk

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All depends on what I am buying... I bought a american made hoist for cheaper that I could get a chinese one but, when I bought my recumbent bike I couldnt find a american one for under 2500 but, I bought a chinese one for 995...
So how about throwing automobiles into the picture. I would never buy a foreign vehicle... Now lets say that a foreign vehicle was 10k cheaper than the american ummm, I would have to think real hard about this

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
It's all about the standards. ASTM have excellent ones, and believe it or not, in Canada, CSA and CGSB have good ones too.

In my position, I have to either accept or reject products daily which either meet, or don't, these standards. Clients depend on that.

I voted US made, as I believe there lies the highest standard of quality testing available to our markets.