Backwards Roof Flags?

Should the stars be on the viewer's right or left on a roof flag decal?

• Right

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Left

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • It's dumb either way, and I'm a communist

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw one of these a few days ago. I LOVE the idea! But, somethings been bothering me and I figured I'd put it out to the forum for debate/opinion. :argue:

QUESTION: If you are looking at the roof of a truck with a flag decal on it, should the canton (stars) be on the LEFT side or the RIGHT side? (Assuming you are looking at it from above, like the blue truck shown below)

Moon Flag.jpg

I started looking around and most if not all of the decals advertised are oriented this way. They can't ALL be wrong, right? If they are not wrong.... what am I missing? My understanding of Flag Etiquette is that the canton (union/stars) should always be on the viewers left when on a flat surface. The only time I can find where the canton is on the viewers right, is when it's draped over a casket. :shrug: Below is the flag in my garage for reference:

Wall Flag.JPG

I emailed Rappy Graphics and asked them if they could reverse the image and if that would work on the moonroof. They said sure no problem at all! But, I'm still paranoid that I'm missing something and what everyone has (like the blue truck above) is correct. Either that, or everyone is driving a casket and it's a big conspiracy. :signs6:

What say you? :patriot:

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Picking at a scab here...

Flag in your garage is correct, and so is your statement. Stars in the upper left corner. Where it differs is orientation (and I'm not talking about whatever @Oldfart has going on). If you stand on the driver's running board, it is correct. Its the same as hanging a flag in your window. The main view, from the street is the correct way. But inside your house looking out the window it's backwards.

I have more of an issue with the flags on tailgates with the stars in the top right. Those need to be fixed.

1695783116482.png

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
left side.. it is a flying flag so can be viewed either side as moving forward but i think the stationary left stars is more correct in interpretation

however... if you were driving around bristol motor speedway, making left turns, this is the correct orientation... im not sure what i think now..

i took my vote back..

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
&
with a cite to US ARMY reg 670-1.

We’re getting our knickers in a twist over this?

I would offer the following. First and foremost, we’re not actually talking about a flag here, we’re talking about an artistic rendering of a flag. 1AUSC would protect the owner’s display of the flag from pristine & respectful to UBL taking a dump on the flag and everything in between. 1A wasn’t ratified to enshrine flag etiquette we like, but instead the unpopular speech the mob probably doesn’t like.

Second, there’s no possible way to cover every situation because despite many stadium displays and ceremonies of huge flags - well beyond the size of a Post Flag, the flag is not supposed to be displayed horizontal because it skews all the other guidelines for display.

Best guess here is that the stars should be forward and either orientation L/R should be fine and after all, he’s not affixed an actual flag to his vehicle, it’s an artistic rendering and other than a ring mount, that’s probably the best possible use for the F series moonroof.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
On the roof......I think it only matters if you're in a helo........ Unless the truck is going in reverse, of course....

OP
OP
XSTNKT

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the roof......I think it only matters if you're in a helo........ Unless the truck is going in reverse, of course....
See, that's sort-of the rub. I can see my truck parked from my second story office window.........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter