Would You Pay More for An Item if Made in The U.S.

Would You Pay More for An Item Made In The U.S.

• Yes, I'd pay more

Votes: 44 78.6%
  • No, I don't care where it's made

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'd prefer it were made in the U.S., but I wouldn't pay more for it

Votes: 10 17.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a local business so i try to support the other local businesses in my small town and if the same item and same quality are side by side on a shelf I will pay more for that made in the USA stamp although anymore it is getting tougher and tougher to find. I still think we need to say **** China and build everything here. We have the technology and the resources to do so and it may hurt for a while but it has hurt for a lo g time already

OP
OP
Fred

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this thread were product specific we could provide better input.

Cars and truck, for instance:
German: good quality engineering, but pricey
Italian: a notch below German
Asian: In the past few decades they provide a high value per dollar
American: They have made huge improvements in quality the last couple decades. Can compete with the Asian value per dollar.

Personally, I only buy American cars (trucks). I don't feel that I sacrifice any value per dollar buying American. And I am adamant about that.

Agreed, looking back replace item with cars/trucks...

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is the value of " made in America" all else being equal...it varies by person and the purchase...this is my first poll...and we are looking at cars for my wife to replace her Audi...we have been looking at all sorts of vehicles from the Lexus - Buick to the Explorer...Caddy CTS

I once thought I'd only buy American cars, until I got a good deal on a lifted '82 Toyota with 33x250's. I eased my conscience by telling myself it was used (really used) & the money didn't leave here.

My wife had just bought a Subaru Forester when we got married, which I didn't care for at first, because it was foreign. But that thing is the epitome of quality. After 12 years, we're going to replace it soon, with another Subaru.

I feel much better purchasing something that has proven quality to me like that, than ever supporting Government Motors.

I always hated Chrysler for being bailed out before.

I'm a Ford guy, but I have no hesitance in buying a Subaru or a modded FJ Cruiser (in hopes it's as good as that old pickup was). In my case, I'd pay more for an American Ford (my Raptor), but I won't buy a GM over the Aussie, even at a lower price.

Mogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all about the standards. ASTM have excellent ones, and believe it or not, in Canada, CSA and CGSB have good ones too.

In my position, I have to either accept or reject products daily which either meet, or don't, these standards. Clients depend on that.

I voted US made, as I believe there lies the highest standard of quality testing available to our markets.

I'm also in a position where I have to ensure that ASTM/ASME/ANSI and all the other standards are met when I supply materials to my customer, a major international oil company.

Their approved materials list consists of mostly domestic, and some European and Japanese manufacturers. No Chinese or Indian, and very little Taiwanese material is acceptable, and for good reason. Last year, they purchased installed several Chinese-made valves. Each valve cost them something like $40,000 each. Within 3 months, all but one of the valves were leaking and they had to be taken out of service and repaired/replaced.

If they had purchased the American-made valve for $60,000, they would be miles ahead, and not even on cost of the valve. Taking the valve out of service = lost production = lost profits.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

I once thought I'd only buy American cars, until I got a good deal on a lifted '82 Toyota with 33x250's. I eased my conscience by telling myself it was used (really used) & the money didn't leave here.

My wife had just bought a Subaru Forester when we got married, which I didn't care for at first, because it was foreign. But that thing is the epitome of quality. After 12 years, we're going to replace it soon, with another Subaru.

I feel much better purchasing something that has proven quality to me like that, than ever supporting Government Motors.

I always hated Chrysler for being bailed out before.

I'm a Ford guy, but I have no hesitance in buying a Subaru or a modded FJ Cruiser (in hopes it's as good as that old pickup was). In my case, I'd pay more for an American Ford (my Raptor), but I won't buy a GM over the Aussie, even at a lower price.

Check the door sticker on that Subie. The used 2003 Legacy I just bought for a daily driver was built in Indiana!

I don't mind it when people are objective and do a little research about their vehicle purchases. What really ****** me off is when they dismiss domestic cars out of hand because "their quality sucks compared to Japanese". GM, Ford, and Chrysler are on par with the Japanese and in many cases ahead on quality.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I make some products for sale. Some of the materials I use are made in china, mainly measuring tools (try to find any that aren't made there) and probably some of the steel. I will not buy any bolts or threaded rod that's not domestic. Domestic being Am or Canadian which always produce higher quality in the stuff I use. I quit doing business with one supplier over it.

I used to be in construction. I got a case of 16d nails when the China crap was hitting the market. I could actually bend the nails with 3 fingers in one hand. I threw the box on the counter and told the lumber yard owner NEVER sell me any of this shit again. From that point on, any nails I got where Am or Canadian.

I bought a Rigid HD drill bit extension for big bits thinking "Rigid is Quality". The set screw stripped before I ever used it. I looked at the package...chrap. I had to go down to a parts house and get a good set screw. I won't buy any tool that says China on it. Pure crap if you're making a living with it.

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I prefer quality products, a lot of those are made in the US. But to answer the original question of same quality etc, then I would not pay more for a US product.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I have a choice I will always pay more for American made

That being said I could never trade my 911 turbo for a ZR1. (I just don't look good in gold chains ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
Fred

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a Vette owner, I will there are some that love the bling...oh and the matching fanny packs:snoopfacepalm: