Would You Pay More for An Item if Made in The U.S.

Would You Pay More for An Item Made In The U.S.

• Yes, I'd pay more

Votes: 44 78.6%
  • No, I don't care where it's made

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'd prefer it were made in the U.S., but I wouldn't pay more for it

Votes: 10 17.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a difficult question without sufficient parameters.
How much more? 1%, 2%, 3%, ... X%?

Yes, I'd pay more for made in USA for the same quality.
How will I be able to determine which has the better quality?
How much more?

With the inexpensive labor costs it's hard for the consumer to get near as good a bargain in the US. We could tax imports to level the playing field. Who would want that? Your dollar value would considerably.

Cars and trucks are a closer value per dollar for US automakers.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i will pay more to buy american if its within reason. how much more i am willing to pay depends on the quality of the product. i always try to buy american.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How come Apple gets a pass for most of their products produced overseas, specifically the iPhone 5...or maybe they don't?

Sent from iPad 3 using Tapatalk

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57512904-37/iphone-5-may-cost-apple-$167.50-to-build-says-one-estimate/

I saw this, I heard once that our EPA rules would be too strict and it's another reason they couldn't be built here.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting topic... Plenty of variables to consider though. Personally, I try to buy American as much as possible.

OP
OP
Fred

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the value of " made in America" all else being equal...it varies by person and the purchase...this is my first poll...and we are looking at cars for my wife to replace her Audi...we have been looking at all sorts of vehicles from the Lexus - Buick to the Explorer...Caddy CTS

Why do I see so many imports?

linnwgetin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere once that my ipad 3 would be $2500 bucks if it was made in the USA with union labor, where I paid $895 for it made in China. Thats a huge difference.

OP
OP
Fred

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That much of a price difference?

Mogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere once that my ipad 3 would be $2500 bucks if it was made in the USA with union labor, where I paid $895 for it made in China. Thats a huge difference.

I'd have to do some digging, but I remember reading somewhere that total labor inputs on iPhones/iPads added something like $1.50 per unit in China. If they were made here, it would be something like $14.

The majority of production cost on the iGizmos is materials.

Edit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/b...queezed-middle-class.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Buried about half-way down the article:

"It is hard to estimate how much more it would cost to build iPhones in the United States. However, various academics and manufacturing analysts estimate that because labor is such a small part of technology manufacturing, paying American wages would add up to $65 to each iPhone’s expense. Since Apple’s profits are often hundreds of dollars per phone, building domestically, in theory, would still give the company a healthy reward."

The biggest problem with building electronics here is that so much of total electronics supply chain has moved overseas, to Korea, Taiwan, or China. America essentially let that happen in the 90s and 00s. It'll take one hell of a pull if we want to catch back up again.

Last edited:

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a hard time accepting that large of a price difference. But, that might be right, I dont have any hard facts.
I bet we would all be surprised at how much the government regulation adds, I know in CA they do everything they can to make it hard to conduct business.
When given the choice I buy American. The quality tends to be better, and I can usually get parts to fix it if something goes wrong.

Last edited:

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If this thread were product specific we could provide better input.

Cars and truck, for instance:
German: good quality engineering, but pricey
Italian: a notch below German
Asian: In the past few decades they provide a high value per dollar
American: They have made huge improvements in quality the last couple decades. Can compete with the Asian value per dollar.

Personally, I only buy American cars (trucks). I don't feel that I sacrifice any value per dollar buying American. And I am adamant about that.