Will Ford Performance bless us with a tune?

Would you buy a Ford Performance tune for the Raptor?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"All of their [Ford Performance] vehicles have been spot on."

Well, not really. Failing cam phasers are not exactly spot on. Leaking plastic engine and transmission pans are not what I'd call spot on, either. My frame of reference is only Raptors, and there is a whole litany of reliability problems with post-GEN1 Raptors. The evidence is provided here on FRF by a host of reliable members. The delusional old dude has paid attention, boys. ;)

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Exactly! I love every Ford Performance vehicle.
Yeah, obviously not everyone feels the same way. There’s always someone who cannot be content to allow your discussion to stay on point and derail it for their own selfish needs.
Just ignore the delusional old dude.
What id DoD typing this time? Let me guess:

6.2 Raptor is MORE AWESOMER than any truck YOU have so FÜCK you. Your PEASANT Ford Performance vehicle is a POS while my several years old, tired, but lightly used SVT Raptor is SUPERIOR.

AMIRITE?

OT:
The prospect of a tune for the 3.5HO is slim to none. The power plant has GA since 2017 and seen extended use since what, 2019 - expanding to the Platinum, and Navigator. It’s a legit workhorse. However, I don’t think the limiting factor is the power plant / drive train combo itself, but rather the use case.

The Rap is an off road truck and has to be able to run on 87 octane fuel due to the limited availability of higher octane fuel in some locales. You can tune for more power, even under load but you’ll definitely compromise some reliability pushing the truck hard, under load and tuned and doubly so if the tune won’t accommodate lower octane fuel. If the same power plant were in a car, I think they might be able to wring more power out of the engine and stay within the tyrannical EPA overlord’s good graces. The Raptor has all manner of customers from casual off roaders, to people who scrounged every last penny to afford one, to people who use them at work and folks with more vehicles than days of the week. The tune they would potentially offer would have to accommodate the guy who is still hauling 1400 pounds of firewood in the bed, in the 95F+ summer temps of the NE USA, and the ones rocking the Rap in Alaska in the dead of winter and everyone in between.

Roush offers warranty covered tunes for the Jen Too trucks if they’re installed by a Roush cert’d shop, but it’s Roush’s own warranty, and not something that can be extended.

I’d have bought a F/P tune if one were offered but they didn’t and I wouldn’t hold your breath for one.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What constraints would EPA put on aftermarket tunes?
None. They put constraints on FMC. Big intrusive constraints. That's one of the reasons you won't see a tune from Ford. The biggest reason is probably reliability. If you tune it and blow it up being stupid, they don't have to fix it for free. If you're not stupid, tuning is safe. You do need to be willing and able to buy a new engine out of pocket if it fails. It's one reason I won't buy a used Raptor. Too many have been tuned. How well tuned and how driven after is unknown. I'm willing to pay for my own stupidity but it irks me to pay for the stupidity of others.

OP
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None. They put constraints on FMC. Big intrusive constraints. That's one of the reasons you won't see a tune from Ford. The biggest reason is probably reliability. If you tune it and blow it up being stupid, they don't have to fix it for free. If you're not stupid, tuning is safe. You do need to be willing and able to buy a new engine out of pocket if it fails. It's one reason I won't buy a used Raptor. Too many have been tuned. How well tuned and how driven after is unknown. I'm willing to pay for my own stupidity but it irks me to pay for the stupidity of others.
That's the perfect way of saying it. That's exactly why we were hesitant about new ones without a perfect history behind them. Luckily we found ours that was new and we didn't have to be worried about being surprised.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Gen 3 out of the box is better dialed in than the Gen 2. Even a tune offered to be as good as the Gen 3 or a notch above could be welcomed by many. Normal mode on the Gen 2 is pretty horrid no doubt. I think EPA and Cafe numbers were a little different back then, at least to the ratio of electric cars Ford is producing now. That helps offset figures it would have cost them heavily. Back in 2015 or so, I just think Ford had to squeeze every drop of fuel economy it could out of the 3.5 HO.

I think for the Gen 3, some better time Was spent on drivability with this engine and trans. Just better tuning flat out. And I am not talking about them adding more low end torq due to the new rearend setup. They can leave that out and still come up with a much better tune overall for the Gen 2.

But maybe going forward ICE vehicles will be treated with better updates to improve them as BEV’s are. Looking back to Gen 2 and before, I don’t think so. Not much of any money to be made off of a dead Generation of vehicles.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's likely the same powertrain calibration engineer that developed the factory tune that would create a performance tune if they chose to sell one.