Auto Octane tune for gen 3!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattr66

Reaction score
Marketing at it's "best".

I called them out on this same BS on another forum and they acted like there was some hidden magic in their tune that I couldn't possibly understand.

The fact is, there is NO way for a Ford engine to know what octane fuel is in the tank, and there's no changes to the factory calibration that can make that happen. Calling is an "auto octane tune" is euphemistic at best

They may have great tunes, but they are being seriously misleading with their advertising language.
You don't understand how it works. There is an inferred octane number that is set and steers the boost and timing mapping. The knock sensors can add or subtract timing over the base map. If you put 87 octane in the truck it doesn't constantly pull 7 degrees out with the knock sensors like you are implying. With the GH tune if the knock sensors need to ADD OR SUBTRACT spark more than 2 degrees it will make an adjustment to the base spark commanded and bring the adjustment closer to 0 and also add or subtract maximum boost accordingly. The factory calibration also does this but we make it more sensitive. Let me know if you still don't understand.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You don't understand how it works. There is an inferred octane number that is set and steers the boost and timing mapping. The knock sensors can add or subtract timing over the base map. If you put 87 octane in the truck it doesn't constantly pull 7 degrees out with the knock sensors like you are implying. With the GH tune if the knock sensors need to ADD OR SUBTRACT spark more than 2 degrees it will make an adjustment to the base spark commanded and bring the adjustment closer to 0 and also add or subtract maximum boost accordingly. The factory calibration also does this but we make it more sensitive. Let me know if you still don't understand.
Yes, but it’s still feedback knock learning. The ecu is using knock sensors to detect knock, and then reactively infer fuel octane, and adjust the knock octane modifier accordingly, which is basically a multiplier that’s applied to timing and boost targets.

You can’t get past the fact that knock events must occur for the system to learn the octane and adjust accordingly.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, but it’s still feedback knock learning. The ecu is using knock sensors to detect knock, and then reactively infer fuel octane, and adjust the knock octane modifier accordingly, which is basically a multiplier that’s applied to timing and boost targets.

You can’t get past the fact that knock events must occur for the system to learn the octane and adjust accordingly.
My point exactly, just much better communicated.

zachery55

Reaction score
Can some one that has this already perhaps do a video show casing it? Do some 0-60 times etc… it’s bit pricey with only hear say for now. I’m interested as all hell. Just want a lot more information on it.

mattr66

Reaction score

If your knock sensor is pulling 2-3 degrees of spark it isn't actually knocking. It is a pre-knock event. The microphones are way more sensitive than you think. Just in the same way it can add timing before it actually knocks. You need to not think of positive KR activity as knock because it isn't. I could put an offset in there where it would never show positive and only go from -20 to 0 and it would actually act the same exact way as far as the engine is concerned. Would that make you feel better?

Last edited:

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd your knock sensor is pulling 2-3 degrees of spark it isn't actually knocking. It is a pre-knock event. The microphones are way more sensitive than you think. Just in the same way it can add timing before it actually knocks. You need to not think of positive KR activity as knock because it isn't. I could put an offset in there where it would never show positive and only go from -20 to 0 and it would actually act the same exact way as far as the engine is concerned. Would that make you feel better?
I understand how it works, personally I would only use it if I didn’t change my fuel around. If I was frequently changing my fuel octane around I’d rather swap to a different base map for that octane to minimize the knock learning process which is gonna always occur under load.

mattr66

Reaction score
I understand how it works, personally I would only use it if I didn’t change my fuel around. If I was frequently changing my fuel octane around I’d rather swap to a different base map for that octane to minimize the knock learning process which is gonna always occur under load.The aussame thing on an 87 or 93 octane dedicated or even a stock tune
What happens on your 93 tune if you get a bad batch of 93 gas or have a station owner that is cheating on his fills?

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What happens on your 93 tune if you get a bad batch of 93 gas or have a station owner that is cheating on his fills?
It does exactly what you’re describing because that’s the way the Ford oem ecu compensates boost and timing. I’m just saying some questionable 93 isn’t as bad as going back and forth from 87 to 93. Either way, it’s common sense for any owner of a tuned and modded forced induction vehicle to be easy on the gas the first couple miles of every new tank to allow this process to take place under lower load conditions.

Nothing wrong with this tune or how it works, I think what some on here are saying is regardless of how things are marketed, I wouldn’t wanna be running 93 on this tune and then just throw some Baja gas in there and immediately send it. It’s a bad idea.

MidLifeRaptor

Reaction score
Had the tune in for a couple weeks now, no issues and enjoying the truck especially the extra passing power. 0-60 is in the mid 4s range but the passing power is just immense.

Best mod for the money hands down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter