Auto Octane tune for gen 3!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeasickLI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Initial impressions on the AO Performance tune. Currently running 35s, 91octane, and my truck is modified with Cobb intake, SPD downpipes, and SVC intercooler. From a stop you can easily spin the tires giving it some throttle. Shifts are crisp and you can feel it put you into your seat much more. Boost values are reading higher as expected. Overall very happy with this. Will continue to monitor and update with any new info!

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Initial impressions on the AO Performance tune. Currently running 35s, 91octane, and my truck is modified with Cobb intake, SPD downpipes, and SVC intercooler. From a stop you can easily spin the tires giving it some throttle. Shifts are crisp and you can feel it put you into your seat much more. Boost values are reading higher as expected. Overall very happy with this. Will continue to monitor and update with any new info!
Thats awesome! Glad youre enjoying it so far and cant wait to hear more feedback from buyers!

MidLifeRaptor

Reaction score
Another satisfied customer - I’ll write a full review tomorrow but this thing rips - 0-60 showing high 4s (camera footage on Speedo) and it shifts great - very easy process to install, no drama - truck is considerably quicker and feels like it shed 1000lbs… more to come

MidLifeRaptor

Reaction score
Following up with a more thorough review - simply put, my 2022 on 35’s feels considerably more alive. I have a whipple IC and intake kit and in 45 degree weather I was seeing about 16psi boost at full throttle through the midrange on the stock calibration. After uploading the tune to the truck I’m seeing closer to 19 peak - on 93 octane fuel. I haven’t had any warm temps to test in yet.

2wd launches are no longer a real option as she will light up the rears on this tune - the 4 auto launches plant you in the seat considerably harder. The 0-30 sprint post-tune on a brake/boosted launch is insane.

More important IMO is that the truck doesn’t feel “tuned” in the sense that your throttle position is so sensitive you have a jumpy pedal - it’s more aggressive than OEM but very manageable. The powerband hits earlier and stays “on” longer. There’s no jolts and it’s not a rough experience, it just feels like it’s got about 20% more power all the time.

Final verdict - I haven’t tried any other tuner on gen3, nor do I plan to do so - this is enough for my daily driver to put me in the fun category each time I drive. I personally measured a 4.7 0-60 but I bet it’s got more in it after the learning is done.

No octane rules, truck feels boosted but not over the top - GREAT shifting and best of all, easy flashing. I’m thoroughly impressed. On top of that, Johnny at HammerBuilt has been on top of the customer service - taking my call on a Saturday to ensure I got him the proper data, responding to texts etc.. Feels like old school customer service with these guys, with a great product to boot.

Well done Hammerbuilt and Gearhead crew!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Following up with a more thorough review - simply put, my 2022 on 35’s feels considerably more alive. I have a whipple IC and intake kit and in 45 degree weather I was seeing about 16psi boost at full throttle through the midrange on the stock calibration. After uploading the tune to the truck I’m seeing closer to 19 peak - on 93 octane fuel. I haven’t had any warm temps to test in yet.

2wd launches are no longer a real option as she will light up the rears on this tune - the 4 auto launches plant you in the seat considerably harder. The 0-30 sprint post-tune on a brake/boosted launch is insane.

More important IMO is that the truck doesn’t feel “tuned” in the sense that your throttle position is so sensitive you have a jumpy pedal - it’s more aggressive than OEM but very manageable. The powerband hits earlier and stays “on” longer. There’s no jolts and it’s not a rough experience, it just feels like it’s got about 20% more power all the time.

Final verdict - I haven’t tried any other tuner on gen3, nor do I plan to do so - this is enough for my daily driver to put me in the fun category each time I drive. I personally measured a 4.7 0-60 but I bet it’s got more in it after the learning is done.

No octane rules, truck feels boosted but not over the top - GREAT shifting and best of all, easy flashing. I’m thoroughly impressed. On top of that, Johnny at HammerBuilt has been on top of the customer service - taking my call on a Saturday to ensure I got him the proper data, responding to texts etc.. Feels like old school customer service with these guys, with a great product to boot.

Well done Hammerbuilt and Gearhead crew!
Thank you so much for the extensive review! I greatly appreciate it

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
starting today through the end of March - Im including free Motorcraft SP542/M12405 plugs with all tune purchases.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you say this isn't how it works and then you go on to mansplain about exactly how I said it works...

Marketing at it's "best".

I called them out on this same BS on another forum and they acted like there was some hidden magic in their tune that I couldn't possibly understand.

The fact is, there is NO way for a Ford engine to know what octane fuel is in the tank, and there's no changes to the factory calibration that can make that happen. Calling is an "auto octane tune" is euphemistic at best.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I called them out on this same BS on another forum and they acted like there was some hidden magic in their tune that I couldn't possibly understand.

The fact is, there is NO way for a Ford engine to know what octane fuel is in the tank, and there's no changes to the factory calibration that can make that happen. Calling is an "auto octane tune" is euphemistic at best.
Well, the only way for the motor to know what octane is in there is by relying on the knock sensor - to up timing or to retard timing. IMO the knock sensor is there to prevent detonation, period. I'm not trying to bash the tune here, my business partner runs it and loves it but I won't run it for the above reasons.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you say this isn't how it works and then you go on to mansplain about exactly how I said it works...

The fact is, there is NO way for a Ford engine to know what octane fuel is in the tank, and there's no changes to the factory calibration that can make that happen. Calling is an "auto octane tune" is euphemistic at best
Well, the only way for the motor to know what octane is in there is by relying on the knock sensor
They may have great tunes, but they are being seriously misleading with their advertising language.