GASOLINE OCTANE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This doesn’t surprise me. Friends and family with 2021+ ecoboost lariats etc only run 93 octane now after playing around with 87 and 91. They say it just behaves/performs better and gets better fuel econ.
When I purchased the Lariat the salesperson told me 87 is all that is required and as previously indicated, the owner’s manual articulated the same. That and towing capacity was a huge selling point. It wasn’t until I spoke to someone whom works at Ford when I learned differently. Just like towing capacity, it’s all about marketing. Luckily, I discovered the truth before the Lariat hit 1900 miles. I have always filled the Raptor with 91 or better. On a side note, I was at a party last night and spoke to a big shot that works at Kraft foods. To make a very long story short, he confirmed that “store brands” , although made by Kraft, are actually different, which is the reason they are typically cheaper. He told me the cheaper items “often” contain ingredients outsourced from countries like China. Whereas, most of the ingredients contained inside Kraft label products are produced in the US, Mexico and sometimes Europe. That made me think about OTC drugs and generic prescription medications. Regardless, the Lariat performs much better on 91 or better……very noticeable!

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah a friend of mine who bought a powerboost was excited about “only needing 87”. He tried 93 once... No longer cares about the 80 cent/gal difference. About OTC drugs, I don’t know enough about Patent law or other various reasons why generic drugs can be 10% the price of name brand, but what you’re saying doesn’t surprise me.

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah a friend of mine who bought a powerboost was excited about “only needing 87”. He tried 93 once... No longer cares about the 80 cent/gal difference. About OTC drugs, I don’t know enough about Patent law or other various reasons why generic drugs can be 10% the price of name brand, but what you’re saying doesn’t surprise me.
I believe that drug patents expire after 10 years, otherwise the generic product would be available immediately upon FDA approval. I’m not sure of the time requirement, but it’s about 10 years.

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About OTC drugs, I don’t know enough about Patent law or other various reasons why generic drugs can be 10% the price of name brand, but what you’re saying doesn’t surprise me.

Research costs and the cost of drug development that didn't work being funded by the ones that did. No big secret. It's cheaper to just manufacturer the winners after someone else paid all the costs to figure out what works and what doesn't. A friend of mine with a double doctorate degree makes real good money to kill mice for a major pharmaceutical company.

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Research costs and the cost of drug development that didn't work being funded by the ones that did. No big secret. It's cheaper to just manufacturer the winners after someone else paid all the costs to figure out what works and what doesn't. A friend of mine with a double doctorate degree makes real good money to kill mice for a major pharmaceutical company.

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scary stuff!

Attachments

• 463E0D9C-7DA0-4970-B8DE-121AEC6EA615.jpeg
    463E0D9C-7DA0-4970-B8DE-121AEC6EA615.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 46

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 10 days ago I drove from my ranch in Montana to Coronado to deliver a dog that I trained. I then drove back to the ranch. I kept immaculate records of the mileage I obtained using 87 octane in a 2024 F150 Lariat eco boost. Wednesday I received a call from Coronado that the dog chewed apart the handler that was paired with it and they requested a second dog. I almost immediately started to Coronado with a much softer dog as a replacement, except this time I used 91 octane. I made the exact same stops along the way and return. The performance was very noticeable and, when all was said and done, I got 4.8 MPG more with 91 octane.
Cool story. You could have saved yourself the return trip if you would have left that jar of peanut butter from the training program.

:Whoa: