Will Catch Can still be necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stan G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've installed and "maintained" a catch can once in my life and I have to say that I didn't see any difference in performance or extended life.
Although I don't have a preference, I just haven't experienced any benefit that would make it a must have.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My understanding is that catch cans are not needed, and much of what the devices catch is actually generated by having a catch can in your system to being with. I believe, it was @FordTechOne who explained all this already in a different thread that I'm not going to dig up.
If that's true and some of that gack gets past the can, then having a can is worse than not having one.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's absolutely not needed. Your engine will function just fine without it. But if you install one and then empty it after 1000 miles and see all the oily residue that would have gone into your intake, then you will never go without one.

The point I was making is that the catch contributes to generating the oily residue, as I understand it. There is no (or a lot less) oily residue to go into your intake if the catch can isn't there. Essentially, the device itself creates the need for the device.

Can't think of a perfect example, but it's like saying you need to a vehicle in order to go get gasoline...but if you don't have a vehicle, there's no need for gasoline.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The point I was making is that the catch contributes to generating the oily residue, as I understand it. There is no (or a lot less) oily residue to go into your intake if the catch can isn't there. Essentially, the device itself creates the need for the device.

Can't think of a perfect example, but it's like saying you need to a vehicle in order to go get gasoline...but if you don't have a vehicle, there's no need for gasoline.

I hear you. I have heard that reasoning before. But here's the thing. I am not a genius. I do not know everything about these trucks or physics or anything like that. I goof things up all the time. But I do have a degree in engineering which required me to take a bunch of classes: two classes in fluid mechanics, two classes in thermodynamics, two classes in physics, one class in chemistry, and a bunch of others...and I have never heard an explanation of the phenomenon that "the catch can itself causes the residue" that made sense given the other things I know. If somebody can explain something like, "The increased volume of the catch can and longer hoses causes less pressure throughout the system which causes..." then I'm completely onboard with changing my mind. There's a lot of smart people here, and that explanation may exist. But to date, I haven't heard an explanation that makes sense. But I do empty a shot glass of oil out of my catch can about every 2000 miles, so that's pretty convincing anecdotal evidence to me.

I don't think anybody is an idiot for not running one or for running one. That's just my take on things. Cheers.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quoting @FordTechOne from one of the other 1000 threads on this topic, " A catch can is not needed unless you’re going to be using the truck for competition/high performance driving events. The factory PCV has an oil separator built into the valve cover. These engines are dual injection, meaning both port (conventional) and direct. This prevents carbon from building up in the intake ports and valves."

And @TwizzleStix , "
*SIGH* Unfortunately the majority of the moisture trapped in those catch cans are the result of the catch can setup itself. The hoses that attach it are prime areas for moisture condensation that collects in the can. Ever notice just how SHORT the OEM PCV hoses are. That's for a specific reason. I'm a firm believer in catch cans where actually needed in turbo-direct injection(only) engines, but the Raptor 3.5 doesn't have the usual direct injection problems because it also uses port injection. In fact, it operates on the port injection MOST of the time. The direct injection is used mainly under heavy loads, high(er) rpm situations where high-cylinder pressure detonation would be present on a port-only engine.

Obviously people can do whatever they want, but know that the Raptor 3.5 EB does NOT "need" a catch can setup at all."

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the point that @FordTechOne is making is that you won't get residual buildup on the backside of the intake valve because of the showerhead injector, and that the valve cover/PCV should hold back residue...there is still the opportunity to have crankcase vent gases that carry small particulates and oil vapor, they can still deposit before the showerhead injector, just everywhere else in the intake tract. As others have commented though, to each there own.

Oh, and @TwizzleStix doesn't believe in engineering, read just about any of his negative posts....my son thinks he lives in his mom's basement and just trolls forums to f*^k with people.