White Smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Reading this stuff makes me super nervous about installing a tune...

Tunes arent needed IMO. Using the truck the way it was intended Ive never said to myself "I need 50 more hp or a lil more TQ" the truck has plenty of power and runs just fine. Throw the money into the wheel wells.

To the guys getting new motors, glad the warranty took care of you.

Reaction score
Yeah thank **** they cover my motor. I put a chip in my last one and it was wicked imo it’s worth the chip if your a guy like me that wants to mod it to the point where I eat ricer up lol because that shit puts a smile on my face when I eat up mustang with a 5.0 in them and sti’s that’s why I want to mod upgrade the turbos and chip and intercooler and so on I do it for the passion of making a beast of a raptor and to have a raptor like on onelse.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turbos leaking some oil into the turbine side at low idle speeds is not a failure, but the design of the sealing method. The idle speed is too low to keep the turbo spinning enough to maintain pressure against the turbine side seal. An easy fix is to increase the idle speed slightly. Ford already limits the idle time if using remote start, etc., but if you’re in the seat it will idle until it sucks all the oil through the turbos.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if the guy would get in the truck, start it up and rev it to about 3500 steady rpms with no load for around 3-4 minutes until the ECU shut off the ETC throttle, it would clear up and he could be on his way. People who don't understand high performance turbo charged engines freak out about things that may or may not happen while idling.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting this is normal?

Depending on the circumstances, it can be "normal". It isn't something to freak out about, initially. I would recommend a real evaluation of the conditions leading up to the smoking event. In general, a (stock) turbo smoking at idle like that is a result of the crankcase pressure pushing oil into the turbine side of the turbocharger. Turbo seals are designed to work under high pressures outside the CHRA, so revving the engine to get the turbos spinning up will seal them up. If it blows heavy white smoke while the turbos are loaded and making boost, the turbo seals are likely blown.

If it continues at idle only, the problem is likely in the PCV system. That said, the worthless dealer will just throw parts at it, **** shit up and the owner will declare the engine a POS, when the problem is actually the dealer goons...

soulsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this were consistent to every vehicle with this engine one could make the argument that it is symptomatic of this engine and stretch the definition of 'normal.' But this issue is obviously a malfunction that manifests only on a small percentage of vehicles. Honestly there isn't anything about that amount of smoke that is an acceptable byproduct of any modern engine operation.

Obviously Ford agrees since I found this bulletin that references the same issue, although not specific to the F-150: https://ford.oemdtc.com/3631/blue-o...015-ford-explorer-flex-taurus-lincoln-mks-mkt

Not sure if this is relevant to our trucks tho.

ETA: To be specific about the issue as experienced by owners. Something happens when idling over extended periods, say 20+ minutes, that generates this excessive smoking. It goes away after driving the car for a few minutes but until then it looks like a race engine blowing up. So I'm guessing something accumulates somewhere where it shouldn't and needs to be burned off through the throttle.