White Smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add my truck to the list. Idled for 30-40 minutes at the airport before pulling off. Massive cloud of smoke for a mile or so. Just had the cam phasers replaced a couple of months ago. Now I get to have the pleasure of trying to convince my dealer that there's a problem. Considering how they were with the crazy-noisy cam phase tensioners it's going to be a battle.

Does your truck have excessive oil consumption? If so, Ford issued service notices for this earlier this week.

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked the oil and all is good however prior to the new cam phaser replacement it did use more oil

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
When they did your phaser job, did they replace valve covers too?

RR_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just took in my 2018 with 32k miles on the suspicion of leaking valve covers. The dealer confirmed bad valve cover and intake manifold gaskets. Both will be replaced next week.

Reaction score
Same issue here. 2017 that has a valve cover leak. I just found a hair line crack on top of the driver side valve cover.

The truck is not accelerating as hard as it used to. The Turbo gauge on the dash is only going up to 3/4 at full throttle.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not that I haven't seen aluminum or steel parts that have cracked, but I'd damn sure prefer a cast aluminum valve cover over anything else. Ford cried uncle on the plastic oil pans already and changed back to metal.

This doesn't look to be a common failure so I doubt they will switch valve covers over, but it's certainly not uncommon for Fords to have failures with plastic engine components that are in constant contact with hot oil or coolant. They like using plastic for the valve covers because it's quieter than metal covers.

Last edited: