White Smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMCTexian

Reaction score
I experienced this for the first time yesterday. I had idled for about an hour and a half. 16700 miles. Gonna watch this thread, and my oil level.

NYSubway18

Reaction score
I've had a serious white smoke issue since the day I brought it home... check out my profile pic... it was taken the 2nd day I had the truck and taken just after starting. No long idles. Extremely strong smell of anti-freeze like I've never experienced before except when busting radiator hose on an old car I had 20+ years ago. Well, purchased 12/15/2018 with 21 miles and so far....

Strong smell of antifreeze, heavy white smoke out of exhaust - no apparent leaks
500 miles Check Engine light for Cylinder 1 mis-fire. Took to dealer, cleared code, unable to re-produce.
Just under 1000 miles, Check engine light returned - felt a little sluggish, engine light went off.
Shortly after that engine fan started going nuts. Ran full blast all the time. Couldn't warm cabin up - blew cold air even long after engine was warm.
Engine light returned - Ford Pass App said "The Engine system has detected a misfire fault. THis can result in excessive exhaust temperatures that could damage the catalytic converter or other vehicle components".
Returned to dealer. They said engine coolant was low - yet no leaks. They said they knew something was going on, but didn't know what. Filled up coolant, and sent it home with me, telling me to bring it back in a week.
1200 miles - Brought it back today - now they say they have to "tear into the engine" but are very backed up and don't know when they'll be able to do it. I don't think I should have a $70K, 6-week old vehicle with 1200 miles that has an engine that was torn into. Escalated to Ford. Waiting to hear back what's next.

The dealer also said they didn't know what was going on, but they've had 6 or 7 "major" Raptor repairs recently and that contributed to why they are backed up and don't know when they will be able to schedule such a major engine repair.

My 3rd F-150 and also currently have an Edge, and was planing on getting a Mustang as a daily driver. Not happy. So much for Built Ford Tough.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it really sucks when you have a legit problem. Every OEM has them, so don't feel like Ford let you down. The problem is that the dealer network is a *************. The techs are simply parts swappers for warranty work because there isn't as much money in it for them(the techs). That said, if you have the patience and drive to stay with it, you will eventually come out of it ok. Most people don't have either, so they just dump on the OEM (Ford or otherwise) and wind up getting shafted. I hope you're the former and stick it out, so you will get a solid vehicle.

Panduh

Reaction score
my truck is at the shop now for this issue - They claim they dont have a service bulletin, but I will show them the video and hopefully it will lead them to trying to find the root issue. Im not confident though...

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not my truck but if anyone wonders this is what it looks like:

I almost never quote pics/vids but that shit is crazy (we aren't talking about a "track only/**** the EPA/catless straight piped engine" ). I would have expected that smokeshow from the dually parked next to it. LOL There's no way the powertrain geeks off of Rotunda Blvd would have considered that "acceptable" for a road going vehicle...

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score

18LeadfootNNJ

Reaction score
Keeping an eye on this.

Mine had the phasers and timing chain tensioners replaces in November. That got rid of the loud tapping noise on startup.

Last week, noticed that after a weekend of sitting, it was a smoke fest out of the back on cold startup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copb8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add my truck to the list. Idled for 30-40 minutes at the airport before pulling off. Massive cloud of smoke for a mile or so. Just had the cam phasers replaced a couple of months ago. Now I get to have the pleasure of trying to convince my dealer that there's a problem. Considering how they were with the crazy-noisy cam phase tensioners it's going to be a battle.