Which Snatch Strap? Tow Strap? Tow Rope?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have two of the Harbor Freight straps. About $14 each. Sewn loops on both ends.

I've seen the damage a hard pull on one side of the vehicle can do to either the stuck or the pulling vehicle. (the frame can be pulled out of square) I prefer to use both tow hooks when possible to even out the load and cut the stress on each tow point by half. (unless you are using a trailer hitch or the center of a very strong front bumper to attach to)

I'd also rather damage/break a 10,000 lb tow/recovery strap than rip parts off the vehicle with a 24,000 lb one. Kind of a "weakest link" theory... Luckily, most stuck vehicles don't need too much of a tug to get them unstuck. (The exception being DEEP sticky mud... but then you'll probably need to do some digging.)

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Please don't buy or use a strap with metal hooks or other metal on the ends as they can become projectiles.

I've seen the damage a hard pull on one side of the vehicle can do to either the stuck or the pulling vehicle. (the frame can be pulled out of square) I prefer to use both tow hooks when possible to even out the load and cut the stress on each tow point by half. (unless you are using a trailer hitch or the center of a very strong front bumper to attach to)

I'd also rather damage/break a 10,000 lb tow/recovery strap than rip parts off the vehicle with a 24,000 lb one. Kind of a "weakest link" theory... Luckily, most stuck vehicles don't need too much of a tug to get them unstuck. (The exception being DEEP sticky mud... but then you'll probably need to do some digging.)

All is very good advice!! :thumpsup2:

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Good find Curtis! I've not seen "Kinetic Recovery Ropes" before, only straps.

SuperYanker_Eye.jpg

Kinetic Recovery Rope
1" Super Yanker
- @ 33,500lb breaking strength -

Kinetic Recovery Rope: 1" X 20' 33,500lb.
Kinetic Recovery Rope: 1" X 30' 33,500lb.

Application: Full-Size Vehicles-- ie: Hummers, Full-Size Pickups, Suburbans, Blazers

I like everything about it except the price which I'm sure is warranted.

Kinetic Recovery Rope P/N: TRW001020

MASTER-PULL kinetic recovery rope: MP Super-Yanker is simply the superior of all tow ropes and tow straps due to it's high strength and high elongation. MP Super-Yanker is made of two ropes, it has an inner core for it's main strength and a braided outer cover for chafe protection and added
strength to the rope. MP Super-Yanker meets MIL-DTL 24050E spec, ISO approval 9001, DNV certified, high stretch, high strength, excellent shock absorption, soft hand, torque free and it's MADE IN USA. Price: $94.19

super-9185-3245.jpg

Link to above product

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did actually mean snatch strap (my bad for linking to a tow strap; I'll change the title to reflect the dual nature of the discussion).

Great find on that rope RE. That might just be the ticket for a tow rope.

I hear ya Mark. Good points; I'd rather break a rope than break my truck.

I think at the end of the day, I'll probably carry an ARB Snatch Strap and maybe that Kinetic recovery rope. I think between those two, the More Power Puller I have on order (http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?263-Why-not-a-come-along), a tree truck protector and a couple 3/4" D-shackles, I'll be just about as prepared as I can be.

And hopefully the stuff rots to dust before I ever need to touch it.

Raptor enroute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Army did some testing with kinetic ropes a few years back and the results were pretty impressive hence the Military Specification (MIL-DTL 24050E ), also concur with the projectile comment lost a good friend a few years back when it came thru the back window.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Army did some testing with kinetic ropes a few years back and the results were pretty impressive hence the Military Specification (MIL-DTL 24050E ), also concur with the projectile comment lost a good friend a few years back when it came thru the back window.

Sorry to hear about your friend. The energy that is stored in the "recovery devices" that stretch should never be underestimated.

Raptor enroute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark,

Problem was not the kinetic rope because they did not have one the problem was they tried to pull the truck out from the ball which snapped then became the projectile thru the back window. Just a host of unfortunate circumstances led to the accident with the main one being inexperience lesson learned for all that have minimal towing experience never used the ball as a pulling point among other things.

Curtis

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did actually mean snatch strap (my bad for linking to a tow strap; I'll change the title to reflect the dual nature of the discussion).

Great find on that rope RE. That might just be the ticket for a tow rope.

I hear ya Mark. Good points; I'd rather break a rope than break my truck.

I think at the end of the day, I'll probably carry an ARB Snatch Strap and maybe that Kinetic recovery rope. I think between those two, the More Power Puller I have on order (http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?263-Why-not-a-come-along), a tree truck protector and a couple 3/4" D-shackles, I'll be just about as prepared as I can be.

And hopefully the stuff rots to dust before I ever need to touch it.

I'm not sure there's enough of a difference between a recovery strap (like the one from ARB) or the kinetic rope to warrant having them both. Of course there's no harm in buying both but you could save yourself ~$100.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plus worst case scenario you can loop them together for when you decide you need to power across a lake and get stuck halfway across...

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two of the Harbor Freight straps. About $14 each. Sewn loops on both ends.

Great thoughts Mark. Question... are these "Snatch" straps, or non-stretching tow straps? Using two just makes TWO much sense (sorry I couldn't resist <G>) for all the reasons you mention. But, can you still "snatch" with two straps? And any tricks on hooking up to the towed vehicle with two straps? Of course if they have two tow hooks it is no problem, but what if they don't? Do you recommend/have you used a bridle with two straps? BTW, Harbor Freight ROCKS. They have cheap Chinese stuff, true, but they also have good stuff at low low prices. Somethings you don't have to go top dollar on... if it works, don't fix it <G>. Then you can use the money you save on things that you DO have to go name brand on.

Falcon