Which Snatch Strap? Tow Strap? Tow Rope?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Hey BKool thanks for weighing in here. I appreciate your real world experience. My concern with using a tow strap with no elasticity (as opposed to a snatch strap) on our Raptors to jerk them out would be either I'd break the tow hook or yank the frame out of square with that kind of sudden force. I don't know if they would hold up like a Hummer to that kind of abuse. I've seen what chains (same concept) do to a vehicle when ******...not pretty. Now you could probably get away with that kind of recovery using the receiver hitch in the rear but I'd be hesitant to use the front hooks like that.

Unfortunately most times we get stuck around these parts, the recovery vehicle is in the goo as well, so a slow pull just gets both vehicles stuck. Only option is for the recovery vehicle to get some momentum going (unless a tractor is used).

BKoolReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, the 5.4 Raptor has a Curb weight of 5900 lbs. and a Gross Vehicle Weight of 6950 lbs., whereas the 6.2 has a Curb weight of 6000 lbs. and a Gross Vehicle Weight of 7000 lbs. The 2011 Raptor SuperCrew's estimated Curb weight is 6200 lbs., and I haven't read any specifications on its projected Gross Vehicle Weight. Anyways, I used the Gross Vehicle Weight of the 6.2 in my comparison, because GVW incorporates personnel, fuel, oil, and payload.

And madcow, you raise a good point about the recovery vehicle being in the deep stuff as well. A violent jerk with a tow strap would indeed wreak havoc on our frames. Nevertheless, I still don't like the "kinetic recovery rope." Perhaps the "snatch strap" is the happy medium bastard offspring of an affair between the tow strap and the kinetic rope!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks BKR for the GVWR of the Raptors. That's helpful.

As for wreaking havoc on the frames, it is a concern so it's important to have the vehicles lined up whenever possible.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HMMWV suck... not really their fault; they were designed essentially as a scout vehicle and were slowly adapted into the equivalent of an APC. In 04 our uparmored HMMWVs would break their drivetrains and we actually had a couple wheels fall off because the uparmor kit alone was putting the tucks above their GVWR... add in 3-4 pax a Ma-Deuce ammo, SINCGARS, CREW, BFT overnight bags etc... recipe for disaster...

The newer factory armored versions are a lot better, but still suck horribly offroad. They sink like bricks. Way to heavy for the contact patches on their tires.

Our SOP was to only use straps to extract from the mud, generally the towing vehicle was a 915 (freightliner) or HEMMITT . The only other time they might be used was to get a disabled vehicle out of a kill box. Honestly towbars are the way to go.

The milspec tow straps we used were way to wide to be used practically on a raptor... you could probably dead lift an Abrahams with one.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
HMMWV APC HMMWVs GVWR Ma-Deuce SINCGARS CREW BFT SOP 915 HEMMITT milspec

FrogTex, you win the "most acronyms in a post award" otherwise known as MAIAPA

Here's one we all know...

img-acronyms.jpg

BKoolReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FrogTex, you win the "most acronyms in a post award" otherwise known as MAIAPA

Hahaha! Here is a Rosetta Stone, for those curious...

HMMWV: High Mobility Multi Wheeled Vehicle, or Humvee
APC: Armored Personnel Carrier
GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
Ma-Deuce: M2 .50 caliber machine gun
SINCGARS: Single Channel Ground and Airborne Radio System
CREW: Counter Remote Control Improvised Explosive Device Electronic Warfare system
BFT: Blue Force Tracker
SOP: Standard Operating Procedure
915: M915 Military tractor-trailer truck
HEMMITT: Actually HEMTT, for Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck
milspec: Military specification

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Monacle Man (MM) :thumbsup:

I almost assumed "CREW" meant personnel - I knew better when I saw it was all caps

CREW: Counter Remote Control Improvised Explosive Device Electronic Warfare system

Seems to me that should be CRCIEDEWS

At this point I am sure of one thing: TGIF :mrgreen:

BKoolReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure am madcow. We have approximately one month left. Then I get back, and pick up my Raptor in South Carolina. Bought it used off a retired Vietnam vet who ordered the 2011 model!