Which Snatch Strap? Tow Strap? Tow Rope?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Sure am madcow. We have approximately one month left. Then I get back, and pick up my Raptor in South Carolina. Bought it used off a retired Vietnam vet who ordered the 2011 model!

Awesome. Stay safe and keep your head down!

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure am madcow. We have approximately one month left. Then I get back, and pick up my Raptor in South Carolina. Bought it used off a retired Vietnam vet who ordered the 2011 model!

What FOB you at? My first tour of OIF was at LSA Diamondback, in Mosul (which is where Jonah of whale fame is buried). Given my AFSC/MOS I have been to just about every 'hole in the AO.

How are you guys attaching the strap to the tow hook?

Run a looped end through the tow hook and pull about a foot through. String the other end through the end you just strung through the tow hook and pull the entire length through... less potential damage and less points of failure than a clevis...

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SharkRescue
How are you guys attaching the strap to the tow hook?
[QUOTE]Run a looped end through the tow hook and pull about a foot through. String the other end through the end you just strung through the tow hook and pull the entire length through... less potential damage and less points of failure than a clevis... [/QUOTE]

Yep, that'll work at one end of your strap but you either have to have an open hook or clevis at the other end.

While we're on the topic, I'd sure make certain you're using a clevis rated higher than your strap. If anything breaks, you want it to be your strap.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frogslinger, NO WAY! I am in fact at D-Back.

Nice... I was under 1ID 44CSB. Our unit was assembled from across the service and we took our designation from the equipment that was left behind by the unit whose mission we took over, the 494th Truck Company. We supported 2ID STRYKERS, there was a big deal cause it was the first time the Indian head was given as a combat patch since Korea. We were awarded 1ID, with a few guys who were lent to the spec ops guys getting their patch too. This was early 04. Our mission was CET support from the Turkish border to BIAP.

Last time I was in Mosul was in early 09. We were running line haul out of Kuwait. We got an exceptionally long mission that ended in Mosul. Weird mission, took forever. The high point was getting certified as an Assistant Convoy Commander. The low point was that the day I was signed off, we had a white roll in downtown Baghdad. We ended up sitting in the open separated from the rest of the CLIP by 3.5 clicks. Just me and my driver in a 915 Bob , a wrecker and 1 gun truck. Two overpasses and 3 ingress/egress routes. KBR took about 9 hours to respond with a wrecker. Fun times.

D-back was almost as much of a garrison environment as VBC or AJ. I wish I was an F O BB I T... that is what I'd truly like to be... outside the wire it is probably worse than when I was there in 04. Keep your head down Sir.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that'll work at one end of your strap but you either have to have an open hook or clevis at the other end.

While we're on the topic, I'd sure make certain you're using a clevis rated higher than your strap. If anything breaks, you want it to be your strap.

GLO... like I said above I use a clevis like MMD uses. I figure if it fails it will go towards the vehicle I am pulling out... not me ;) .

The other solution is this:

That is what we utilise on our greens.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Came in late on this one... All the webbed straps have a bit of "stretch" to them... but I don't like to use the stretchy "snatch" straps. I use regular old tow straps.

As far as two straps... yes, you need to either get straight or tie one off shorter than the other. The "dangerous" loads are reduced considerably once the stuck vehicle starts moving so I've never had an issue if you get off center after the towed vehicle is moving.

But to be honest, you *really* need to try to get lined up straight anyway whenever possible... pulling at an angle to the stuck vehicle is usually a bad idea and it is much harder to "unstick" the stuck vehicle that way.