Which Snatch Strap? Tow Strap? Tow Rope?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
OK, got stuck in a big way yesterday in some gooey mud. My Pro-Comp 3"x30' recovery strap worked as designed but I hated putting all that yank on one tow hook (had to pull from the front). All I could think of was yanking the frame out of square as MarkT mentioned.

I know using 2 straps (attached to both tow hooks) is one option but how about using 2 shorter straps with a clevis at each end going to the 2 tow hooks on your vehicle, then attaching the other ends to your main snatch strap going to the recovery vehicle (essentially forming a triangle out in front of your vehicle).

The only thing I don't like about it is that the clevis present possible projectiles in case of line failure.

Maybe 2 straps like MarkT is the best option. But you're still using a clevis at each end to hook up, correct?

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why couldn't you use two straps attached at one point on the tow vehicle (at the receive hitch but NOT using the ball as the attachment point!) connected to two points (both tow hooks) on your Raptor?

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Damn! Been washing the mud off of everything and somehow my strap got a slice in it. I wasn't watching my father-in-law hookup to the tractor so I'm betting it was on his end.

Dan, I'll pobably end up buying 2 cheapy 30' straps and do what you said (like MarkT).

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here are some suggestions for safe snatch recovery:
  • A Snatch recovery is where a bogged vehicle is recovered by using a mobile vehicle to pull the stuck vehicle free.
  • A Snatch recovery differs from a normal tow recovery because the line connecting the two vehicles is not tensioned prior to the recovery as in a tow recovery.
  • A Snatch recovery relies on the elastic properties of the strap to work properly. During a normal snatch recovery, the strap will elongate by around one metre.
  • A Snatch Strap is a nylon-webbing strap approximately 9m in length and 75mm wide with eyelets at both ends. It has a typical breaking strain in the order of 9,000kg for a standard snatch strap. It pays to look after your snatch strap as a nick of only 1cm can reduce its breaking strain by over 50%.
  • The snatch recovery technique requires a second mobile vehicle and a snatch strap to perform the "snatch".
  • The mobile vehicle is positioned to allow around 2m of slack in the snatch strap, while avoiding getting bogged as well. The direction of both vehicles should be lined up as straight as possible and the strap should not be twisted.
  • Hook the strap to a suitable vehicle tow point using shackles rated to at least 3.25 tons.
Link to above: http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/snatch.htm

In regard to using two straps, I wonder if/how it will work if the tow-er vehicle is not centered in front of the towee vehicle. If it's off-center I assume one of the straps will have more slack than the other and this would seem to defeat the purpose of two straps since only one would be working at least initially.

This is what I use in my receiver:

Smittybilt-Receiver-Hitch-D-Ring-1.jpg

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am with Dan on most of what he said...

First I use the same hardware in my receiver, except mine says Wan on it so it costs twice as much...

As to using two straps; whether yo use two attached to a clevis or two long ones fro both vehicles you are not really distributing the load. All of the shock is going to whichever side is further from the towing vehicle.

The only way to fix this that can see is to run a device to level the load... if you were to get a short strap and attach it to both your tow points, then used a heavy duty d ring that could slide back and forth on it and attach your main rope to that... (if you cannot picture it think oy a "Y" the top of the y is attached to the towed vehicle, the bottom of the y is attache to the pullin vehicle and the middle part can slide so you could end up with what looks like an inverted L or a stylised seven.)

I have never done this personally but I cannot think of any major safety issues, other than that you wold want to take up slack slowly...

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm with Frog on most (alright, on all :) ).

You will want to take up the slack slowly and then when the straps are taut you'll want to back up about 2 feet to get the snatch strap effect which leverages the elastic properties of such a strap.

Warning: make sure your hardware is up to the loading! (Like a D-ring, etc.)

BKoolReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having used tow straps, "kinetic recovery ropes," and solid tow bars in combat, I have to say that I am not a fan of the ropes. The terrain of Northern Iraq usually gets extremely soft during the non-summer months, and the weight of our up-armored Humvees pretty much ensures that we get stuck from time to time when travelling off-road. When a Humvee is buried up to the rear wheel well in sticky mud, the tow strap allows the recovery vehicle to either apply a steady amount of pull to the stuck vehicle, or violently dislodge the stuck vehicle with a jerk at speed. The kinetic recovery ropes allow neither, due to the stretch built into the rope. The only use we ever found for the kinetic recovery rope was to rapidly pull a disabled vehicle out of an engagement area on a hardball or unimproved dirt road. They are more than useless for vehicles stuck in earth, IMO. However, "snatch straps" and kinetic recovery ropes are safer than standard tow straps due to that play built into the line, and there is way less risk of damaging your vehicle. Tow straps, with little play in them, technically should be used for towing ONLY, but I prefer them for recovery as well. I am equipping my Raptor with he standard yellow tow strap outfitted on our Humvees. It hasn't failed me here, so I don't think it will at home either :) I'll see if I can find the specific contractor who makes it tomorrow, and I'll post it here.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You've got a lot of experience - thanks for sharing it. I don't know for sure how up-armored Humvess compare to Raptors in terms of weight but I assume the Raptor weighs a lot less.

My only comment about tow straps is I highly recommend NOT using any metal hooks or other items on the strap as these can become lethal projectiles. Straps alone should be used whenever possible even when towing.

BKoolReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment about metal hooks, Dan. We always attached the tow strap directly to the Humvee's frame mounted shackles. As far as the weight difference, you're also correct. The M1151 up-armored Humvee has a Gross Vehicle Weight in excess of 12000 lbs. compared to the 6.2L Raptor's 7000 lbs.