Wheel well undercoating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dirtypope

Dirtypope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Ztech is using water based formula. Idk is that good thing or bad thing. They related to me that they spoke with Ford and the Ford is using E coating or something like that on all New Raptors to prevent from rusting that’s why theirs formula did not stick on my car... anyone can confirm this?

Also they said that ford is not recommending to use any undercoating on raptor....

Now I’m paranoied that linex might not stick...

Any thoughts?

Fury Road

Reaction score
The frame is e coated but cannot find any other info on this. seems that the undersides on the 2019s might have some coating that didn’t come previously. I’d like to know myself, was looking at doing valu guard through a Linex dealer.

pigwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks genius

Aluminum does "rust" in the form of Al2O3 aka alumina, aka aluminum oxide, aka sapphire. Aluminum "rusts" almost immediately which results in a smooth, thin (~5nm) , self terminating transparent oxide film.

usurper

Reaction score
I just had a Line-X treatment done on my 2019 about a month ago. No issues or separation. For $135 for 2 wheel wells, I don't know why I would go a different route than this. I think preparation is key here, and a dry, clean surface for the product to bond to is key.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
aluminum doesn't rust

1f93057e-867a-1032-b743-4c3114d2dee3r.jpg

It does that nasty white chalky, bubbly crap though.

And the spider web, wormy looking corrosion you see on wheels all the time.

iu

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1f93057e-867a-1032-b743-4c3114d2dee3r.jpg

It does that nasty white chalky, bubbly crap though.

And the spider web, wormy looking corrosion you see on wheels all the time.

Fduneless%2FIMG_20160204_085409050_HDR_zpsogegpifi.jpg
That is corrosion not rust. By definition rust only refers to iron and steel corrosion.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum definetely will corrode in a salty environment. In Hawaii, salt air will corode aluminum all the way through. Causes holes in screen door and window screen frames. Leaves a powdery white residue, then bubbles, then goes all the way through. In areas that salt the roads or use brine there is probably some risk of corrosion under the Raptor.

Last edited: