What oil? - The one and only oil thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't "the best" depend on engine specifics? Not all are built alike. I don't know, but that's what I've come to believe. Luckily, I live in a relatively warm state so I will be sticking to manufacturer recommended weights.

The -20 is the requirement by the OEM for the machinery at operating temperature.
The 0W- is enhanced flow capability cold.
The best would be oil that has the same viscosity from stone cold to max temp.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The -20 is the requirement by the OEM for the machinery at operating temperature.
The 0W- is enhanced flow capability cold.
The best would be oil that has the same viscosity from stone cold to max temp.

Just trying to wrap my mind around things and get a complete understanding. The 0W is the most viscous weight of oil?

As for your last statement, I'm assuming that is 0W right?

I just don't really understand oil since I'm fairly new to this topic, but why would Ford recommend 5W if 0W is better?

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just trying to wrap my mind around things and get a complete understanding. The 0W is the most viscous weight of oil?

As for your last statement, I'm assuming that is 0W right?

I just don't really understand oil since I'm fairly new to this topic, but why would Ford recommend 5W if 0W is better?

A zero is more fluid at low temperatures then a five.
The twenty is like syrup at low temperature and almost like water at 200f
A 0W-20 will still flow at extremely low temperatures and maintain the required film strength at high operating temperatures.
The biggest problem with low temperatures at startup is that most of the thick oil is returned to the sump by the relieve valve without ever getting to where it is needed.

FilthyRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing is 0wwhatever is to thin for cold motors. Everything is so loose depending on tolerances you will get blow by untill everythings warms up. 5w is generally the best for anything but race engines that you know the exact tolerances while cold.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The thing is 0wwhatever is to thin for cold motors. Everything is so loose depending on tolerances you will get blow by untill everythings warms up. 5w is generally the best for anything but race engines that you know the exact tolerances while cold.

Evidently you have no concept of what it is that you are talking about.
Please avoid displaying your ignorance by proclaiming it.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Evidently you have no concept of what it is that you are talking about.
Please avoid displaying your ignorance by proclaiming it.

Agreed and Oh my this is funny----maybe 30 years ago but motors now are built to much closer tolerances now. Most of the wear is caused during start up Period---do the research and you will be up to speed.

I use Amsoil 0-20 in mine.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:hmm: ~ 30 years ago . . . umm ... No

Your statement stands correct about 'Start-Up' :waytogo:--- And that would apply too, . .

- Since the inception of the internal combustion engine -
:yawn:----------->:birgits_tiredcoffee
Way back . . . way,way back --- detergent, muti-viscosity, surfactants,
& anti-oxidant/anti-wear properties in oils were limited to non-existent.