What oil? - The one and only oil thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you have that backwards?

Oil flows better when hot.
In general when using 30 weight maybe, Deoends how hot you get the oil. But in mutli weight oils no cold flows at 5 and hot flows at 30... Thats how it is designed to work. ... Thats what the 5W means....
Multi viscosity oil is designed to thicken as it gets warmer. This is why it pours in so easily and seems to flow slower when its warm and your changing it. Next time you change your oil get it to normal operating temperature and drain it, (please be careful the oil is very hot then). watch the lfow rate as it comes out, then check the flow rate of a new bottle of the same stuff cold. In my automotive class we tested it by tipping a piece of metal on its side and pouring hor oil on one side and cold oil on the other to see how long it took to run down the metal plate... It was about an 18 inch long thin plate and we timed travel time... Try it out its a great test for kids to learn....

Last edited:

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Internal tolerances? . . there is not that much difference that a molecule of 15w will not provide lubrication.
Now let's get real .. (and I knew how to 'index & stroke correct' a crankshaft on a Van Norman machine in the 70s)

The reason that FORD and all American Mfgs. specify 5w-20 is to satisfy the CAFE standards.
The thinner oils will outperform on a 96 hour test (new engine) for Fuel Economy.
But, over the life of the engine?? There will be less wear at the end of 100k using a 15w-40 (except in extreme cold envoironments) than with that "weasal ****" 5w-20 or what I call - 'The Warranty Oil' - to satisfy ... 'Uncle cracker Sam' in his infinite wisdom to regulate everything out of existence. There were also, new rules regarding 'cold-flow' requirerments implemented in 2001.
Note: 15w-40 mineral base, not synthetic, has a higher API rating than full synthetic 'weasel ****' 5w-20 warranty oil.

The American Mfg is trying to gain fuel economy and longevity to the catalytic converter.(and satisfy CAFE aka Corporate Average Fuel Economy) And it is not clear wheather of not the larger amount of anti-wear additive in the 15w-40 is actually detrimental to the converter.
The thin oils do not have the same amount of zinc dialkyldithiophosphate.

With that being said, lets get down to tolerances.
How much clearence between Bearing & Journal is there with the 'weasel ****' warranty oil as opposed to the big 80s oil when things start to heat-up?
Well, when abrasive particles become bigger than the oil film thickness, the engine with the 5w-20 will receive the Wear.
Note: When a polymer oil aka muti-viscosity gets squished between the bearing & journal the molecules will tend to align in the polymer and the viscosity of the oil will drop.
So, since thicker oils accomodate larger particles aka contaminates . . . under dusty dirty, towing, overly hot days, there will be less wear with the 15w-40, which has a higher API rating & more anti-wear additive.
The viscosity or film thickness of 5w-20 at 190*F to 200*F is about the same as 15w-40 is at about 240*F to 250*F. Now, how is that oil film thickness of the 5w-20 when it is at 240*F to 250*F. - Like weasel ****.
So, over the life of the engine . . I'll stick with the Group III as opposed to the CAFE 5w-20 oil
that Ford does Not recommend once you leave the boarders of America.

Say thank you to Uncle Sam for regulating Corporate to regulate our beliefs.
[/FONT]

Yea. What he said. That's why Shell Rotella 15-40 is still one of the leading oils out there. And that is why so many over the road trucks use it. Kind of like flys on shit. why not use it. A million trucks can't be wrong. I have done oil analysis on every other oil change and constantly have good results using Shell Rotella. And poor results from others like Chevron Delo.
Now synthetics I use Mobil 1 and the same results come in on those analysis also. I usually use 10-30 in summer and 5-30 in winter here in AZ. I run my truck hard when not on the street. I push the RPM up to the limiter often so it is running hotter and I want good protection.
That's just my .02 worth.

Mil T

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For the folks keeping a logbook of oil changes, etc, I have used the Road Trip app on my iphone for the last few years. Not on a Raptor (yet) but it has been very handy for my car.

Tracks every expense, graphs MPG, dollars per mile, etc. You can set reminders for any maintenance item, and it's very easy to use.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score

For years the oil is full on a Ford when the oil is halfway on the dipstick cross hatch. If you fill it to the top you are technically 1/2 quart overfull. It's been that way since the 4.6 & 5.4 came out in late 90's

Papi4baby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In general when using 30 weight maybe, Deoends how hot you get the oil. But in mutli weight oils no cold flows at 5 and hot flows at 30... Thats how it is designed to work. ... Thats what the 5W means....
Multi viscosity oil is designed to thicken as it gets warmer. This is why it pours in so easily and seems to flow slower when its warm and your changing it. Next time you change your oil get it to normal operating temperature and drain it, (please be careful the oil is very hot then). watch the lfow rate as it comes out, then check the flow rate of a new bottle of the same stuff cold. In my automotive class we tested it by tipping a piece of metal on its side and pouring hor oil on one side and cold oil on the other to see how long it took to run down the metal plate... It was about an 18 inch long thin plate and we timed travel time... Try it out its a great test for kids to learn....

Thank you.

Glad to see there are some sensible members here.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The statement in red is ********!
A 5W30 behaves like a 5 cold and a 30 hot; a 30 hot flows like water but will not flow cold!
If you drain your oil hot and it will not flow you have not changed your oil in 10 years and your engine is ******!

Banned
Reaction score
The statement in red is ********!
A 5W30 behaves like a 5 cold and a 30 hot; a 30 hot flows like water but will not flow cold!
If you drain your oil hot and it will not flow you have not changed your oil in 10 years and your engine is ******!

gonna have to agree here.

im no expert at all, but from what i understand from catching a glimpse of oil segments on automotive shows, is they use two different scales. so a 5 on one scale/measurement, may actually be higher than the 30 on the other scale/measurement.

but i could be wrong

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc