What oil? - The one and only oil thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBONE21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you think Mobil One is about the same as MotorCraft Syn blend or better?

The dealer was trying to tell me they are bot the same.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
do you think Mobil One is about the same as MotorCraft Syn blend or better?

The dealer was trying to tell me they are bot the same.

I don't know if it's the same, but I do know that Mobil 1 Full Synthetic is damn good oil and I've run it in my truck for 61,000 miles now with ZERO problems. Although, I drive a Titan, not a Raptor. But Mobil 1 is good stuff.

And also, Full Synthetic is always better than a Synthetic Blend.

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really know how they compare but Mobil 1 was one of the first full synthetics on the market. They made the oil for many of the companies at the time and it was all just branded in different bottles. I have personally used Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles including my built big block truck and my 954rr street bike for years now with great results. It's darn good stuff and it'll be going in the Raptor after about 5K.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i always ran mobile1 with the filter in my HD/Lightning motor with great results. today ill be getting my first service at my local oil change shop around the corner. My dealer also gave me the permission to switching to Mobile1 oil. Anything i should tell the guys what to keep an eye out for while servicing my animal?

Gunner75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep r clean, run what is recommended, and keep the air system clean, drive the wheels off of it and have fun. Lot's of $$$ wasted these days on fossil dreams. For the select few that really know my past on here, yeah I have my preferences as well, but give me a solid equivalent and I will take it to the bank. Most all is a total waste!

Last edited:

Sierra13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinkin of doing the best of both worlds. Up where I am it can get anywhere from 40*C to -40*C (-40*F). So in the summer months I wanna run amsoil synthetic 5w20 and in the winter when I gets below freezing switch to 0w20 still in amsoil synthetic. What everyone's thoughts on that? I remember my dad use to switch between 5w30 and 10w30 back before synthetics but that was way back in the day...on a Wednesday hah

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The most important thing to know is what the 5w20 means its not a random number there is a specific test. The test uses a tube the amount of time it takes the oil to flow through the tube cold is the w number in seconds. So a 5w20 takes 5 seconds to flow from point a to point b cold. The second number represents the amount of time it takes to flow from point a to point b at normal engine temperature which 200 degrees is the temperature to use. In this test it takes 20 seconds to flow from point a to point b hot. This is a real world test that determines the standard flow rate. Now to some degree the oil is used for CAFE standards and it help with fuel mileage. But increasing the weight to 15w30 would basically decrease the flow rate in the motor from what should be 5 seconds to move the oil to 15 seconds. what this means is whne cold parts of your engine will have to wait 15 seconds to get oil when it should take only 5. This is no oil where it needs it when starting, this is the single worst thing you can do to yuor motor. Every cold start no oil, no oil means eventual failure. Now then if you read your manual it says 5w20 for low to high temperature same oil.... Ford is secretly trying to convince us to use oil that will reduce engine life and cause failures so we have to buy a new truck sooner...LOL conspiracy theory. ... In fact Ford spends a lot of time and money to come up with the best overall rating to achive the greatest longevity. Its all in the tube... ASAE developed this test and it is a simple scientific test...

Papi4baby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most important thing to know is what the 5w20 means its not a random number there is a specific test. The test uses a tube the amount of time it takes the oil to flow through the tube cold is the w number in seconds. So a 5w20 takes 5 seconds to flow from point a to point b cold. The second number represents the amount of time it takes to flow from point a to point b at normal engine temperature which 200 degrees is the temperature to use. In this test it takes 20 seconds to flow from point a to point b hot. This is a real world test that determines the standard flow rate. Now to some degree the oil is used for CAFE standards and it help with fuel mileage. But increasing the weight to 15w30 would basically decrease the flow rate in the motor from what should be 5 seconds to move the oil to 15 seconds. what this means is whne cold parts of your engine will have to wait 15 seconds to get oil when it should take only 5. This is no oil where it needs it when starting, this is the single worst thing you can do to yuor motor. Every cold start no oil, no oil means eventual failure. Now then if you read your manual it says 5w20 for low to high temperature same oil.... Ford is secretly trying to convince us to use oil that will reduce engine life and cause failures so we have to buy a new truck sooner...LOL conspiracy theory. ... In fact Ford spends a lot of time and money to come up with the best overall rating to achive the greatest longevity. Its all in the tube... ASAE developed this test and it is a simple scientific test...

I think you have that backwards?

Oil flows better when hot.

64auto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Done a oil change on my 12 6.2l lastnight. It calls for 7qts, but that doesnt seem to fill it all the way up. Anyone else noticed this.