what is the best nanny setup for driving on snow covered streets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoSmoked

changes his exhaust setup more than his underwear
Reaction score
3955d1316571008-3rd-monster-energy-outlaw-raptor-%93black-op%92s-run%94-september-9-11-2011-img_7346-jpg

Bahahahahah so sick

Bad company

Reaction score
For recommendations for settings in snow ON ROAD driving:

1. Click the 2x4 knob over to 4x4.
2. Leave everything else the hell alone.

You do NOT need to disable stability control in order to "not get stuck".
1. Spinning wheels usually makes you more stuck.
2. traction/stability control applies brakes to the spinning wheel, sending torque to the wheel with more grip.

Stability control has had the greatest impact on vehicle safety SINCE THE SEATBELT. More effective at preventing injury/death than airbags!

One does not need to 4 wheel drift corners in the winter. It is however, fun.

The biggest advantage that stability control provides is that it keeps your vehicle more or less pointed in the direction of travel. This allows the crumple zones to be crumple zones. You head is a crappy crumple zone.

You are not a better driver than modern ABS, and you can not apply the brakes individually to straighten out a slide.

These trucks ARE SPECTACULAR in deep snow. I drove through snow that was taller than the tires last winter during a blizzard. Just regular 4X4 and no other options selected.

By all means shut it off if you want to have fun. But please be aware that the stability control can save your life. I was surprised by a patch of black ice a few years back, and because of stability control avoided a huge wreck. The car behind me was not so lucky.

Rat

Reaction score
As winter rapidly approaches, what combinations have you tried that work best for getting around on streets in the snow? do you run with traction control on or off? what about off road mode or locking the differential?

I say park it in the garage and get a beater car ? just my un professional opinion

i would like to recant my earlier statement and say instead that the quick press trac button with ORM in snow is better because some semblance of ABS IS a good thing in snow. i don't care how capable our trucks are...when the wheels lock up on ice/snow nothing will save you. i think the modest down hill engine engine braking and linear power band that ORM provides during acceleration is ideal for slippery conditions.

NO NO NO nope no recanting accepted here ! Your punnishment will be changing your name to BIRDTURD ! LOL

Hey, found out ORM doesn't turn off the airbags on the Raptor.

Ok so I was wondering if I put it in Off Road Mode will it disable my airbags or will they still go off ?

I don't remember. Its a scab. But like that dodge vs f150 rollover pic, the cab on this is still shaped like a cab. Amazing since I'm sure they were hauling ass and in the desert!

Outlaw Raptor installed a "well built" full roll cage, might even be S.C.O.R.E. legal racing roll cage. I do believe it was chromemolly 1 3/4 or 2'" main tubes. A STOCK Raptor will not be this strong and more damage would occur in the event of a roll over.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
The best way to figure it out is to play with your truck in a safe environment.
There is a thread somewhere in the Offroading section where IRONMAN posted a chart about what everything does electronics-wise.

If you are a old-school off-roader then turning ORM on and fully disengaging trac control will make the Raptor perform like you're used to. Although it does sand-bag the gas pedal, but that's another thing to learn.

I pulled a truck up my driveway yesterday which has 2 s-turns and a 15% grade. I left all the electronic shit on, and muscled through it without the nanny controls kicking in.

The truck is smart as far as traction goes, and you need to play a bit to figure out where you need wheelspin will be better or just let the truck do the work.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Raptor is flat out amazing in snow, you just have to learn its not a 1980's f150. Where you shove it in 4wd and give it hell. You have to learn the technology and trust it (to a certain extent). Definatly, taking it out and playing with the different settings and figure out what works for you.