What Intercooler to Buy??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Abrax01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend the ADD kit. My truck is overheating after the install and they don't care one bit about it. "They are not a mechanic shop, just a bumper shop" Truck is brand new.

That's odd.... I've been running my ADD kit for about a year. There is a slight increase in running temp, around 200F, but that's it. I've seen it get to 215F once during that time and it dropped right back down when I started cruising again. Sorry to see you having problems.

Abrax01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for posting - which add front bumper do you have? please post a photo if you can
I'm running the ADD Honey Badger front and rear. I'd love to post some pics but all the ones I took on my last trip home for leave ended up erased and I wasn't able to recover. I'm going to see if I can get someone to take some soon.

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's odd.... I've been running my ADD kit for about a year. There is a slight increase in running temp, around 200F, but that's it. I've seen it get to 215F once during that time and it dropped right back down when I started cruising again. Sorry to see you having problems.

I am far from being a mechanical expert, but I thought the whole point of spending $ on an aftermarket intercooler was to decrease running temps, and to keep the temp lower for longer.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am far from being a mechanical expert, but I thought the whole point of spending $ on an aftermarket intercooler was to decrease running temps, and to keep the temp lower for longer.

The upgraded intercooler keeps your charge air temps (IAT) cooler so that you don't get hot air in the turbos (heatsoak) and kill your vehicle's boost/power.

At high load, the OEM intercooler struggles with heatsoak and charge air temps go up which causes power loss since hot air is not as combustible as cold air.

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The upgraded intercooler keeps your charge air temps (IAT) cooler so that you don't get hot air in the turbos (heatsoak) and kill your vehicle's boost/power.

At high load, the OEM intercooler struggles with heatsoak and charge air temps go up which causes power loss since hot air is not as combustible as cold air.

I think his point was in response to the other guy that bought an Intercooler that had increased running temps...

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think his point was in response to the other guy that bought an Intercooler that had increased running temps...

I believe you're correct. My response was to show that the intercooler is used for lowering the IAT temps for increased performance.

The engine temp is regulated by the radiator. I should have mentioned that, my mistake.

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you're correct. My response was to show that the intercooler is used for lowering the IAT temps for increased performance.

The engine temp is regulated by the radiator. I should have mentioned that, my mistake.

So Nick, you are suggesting that the reason the engine temps run hotter after installing the ADD intercooler is because it is taking some of the airflow that would normally hit the radiator and supplying that to the turbo's instead?

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The air is more dense when its cooler, therefore you make more power.
More power is more heat. Its a good thing that you can see a slight increase in running temp.

Abrax01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Nick, you are suggesting that the reason the engine temps run hotter after installing the ADD intercooler is because it is taking some of the airflow that would normally hit the radiator and supplying that to the turbo's instead?

This. Yes, the IC has been relocated to in front of the radiator to make room for a winch.