What did u do to your raptor today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RPG9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trucks been making this startup noise randomly for the last two months. Anyone else experience this? It's parked in the garage and rarely makes any noise in the morning but after sitting outside at work it happens more often. Motor is bone stock.

My 14 Gen 1 started doing this in 19-20. I ultimately sold it beginning of COVID due to truck values. Never could figure it out. Had nearly 100k miles on it and regularly changed the oil/filter and ran top tier fuel since I bought it new. Curious if you can figure out the culprit. Truck was in FL, so I don’t think the cold had anything to do with it. My suspicion is that the valve train is just dry from sitting—hence why it goes away.

Last edited:

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tore the O-ring on the front hub while tearing down the spindle (to weld on the SDHQ gusset). Had to figure out what that part is called. Motorcraft calls it a "Wheel Seal', part #BRS-97, and its about $12 online in case anybody else destroyed theirs.20230208_085748.jpg20230208_090733.jpg

Last edited:

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Right.

So it works again now. Wonder if it got wet, either way the parts on the way. Lol
I got lucky. I had the new parts, researched youtube videos, parked it next to my other truck for reference, and then checked out the door latch before tearing it apart. Somehow, both the RF & RR doors fixed themselves! I just splooged some WD40 on the moving parts and called it a day ;)

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
noticed that with the ignition off, I have a "clunk" noise when I shake my steering wheel side to side (anyone else have this?!)... buddy crawled under the truck and said it sounds like it's coming from inside the rack, so there might be some play in it. Also, informed me that I had a leak on my steering gear rack on the drivers side. I hopped under, and sprayed it with some brake cleaner. I am HOPING it was just residual from when I replaced my power steering pump a few weeks back... but, I looked up and it also looks like it may be coming out of where the high pressure line hooks into the power steering pump. Please... be residual fluid LOL. feels like my truck is turning into a money pit :banghead:

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
noticed that with the ignition off, I have a "clunk" noise when I shake my steering wheel side to side (anyone else have this?!)... buddy crawled under the truck and said it sounds like it's coming from inside the rack, so there might be some play in it. Also, informed me that I had a leak on my steering gear rack on the drivers side. I hopped under, and sprayed it with some brake cleaner. I am HOPING it was just residual from when I replaced my power steering pump a few weeks back... but, I looked up and it also looks like it may be coming out of where the high pressure line hooks into the power steering pump. Please... be residual fluid LOL. feels like my truck is turning into a money pit :banghead:
All vehicles are money pits one way or another! Stay the course you will be OK!