Warranty with icon leafs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M_NorthRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently have been having a clunking somewhere in the back of of my truck. Took it in, tech said pass. Side rear shock might be pooched. When I went back after new shocks were ordered I brought it back and now they won't warranty anything to do with suspension now. They said since I have different leafs, and bumps they won't cover it even tho the service manager does not think it's the shocks. They were most concerned with the swarfworks guards rubbed on the plastic shock boot which does no harm what so ever.
Has anyone on here had issues with clunking in the rear and being denied warrantee work.

They had to line up 4 other raptors to see the difference between mine and a completely stock one instead of just calling me. I stumped him on why they won't cover me. He proved not to know what they are looking at.
They see aftermarket and instantly assume instead of investigating further.

Some insight would be great if anyone had had this experience. I get the aftermarket deal but at same time there's steps missing.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Warranty only covers factory parts in factory spec. Once any system on the vehicle is modified, any concerns with that system are in the person who modified it. The noise you’re hearing could be a leaf spring, leaf spring bushing, shock bushing, etc. If the dealer spends an hour diagnosing it and it comes down to a spring or any component that was loosened/retorqued due to the aftermarket installation, they don’t get paid. They can’t submit a diagnosis to Ford and then not repair it with factory parts. This is why they don’t want to get involved with aftermarket modifications.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How and when is it making this clunking sound? You need to be more descriptive. If it is suspension related and you have altered it, you can't expect ford to cover it under warranty as @FordTechOne mentioned. Lets try and diagnos it a bit better here, so we can help you out.

OP
OP
M_NorthRaptor

M_NorthRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the clunking/pop sound when leaving my drive way, going over speed bumps on an angle and sometimes when I'm just driving in general. Reminds me of metal binding against something then slipping off.
I understand that when you put an after market part on it can void warranty.
I've retorqued everything underneath the rear of the truck and all bushings are either new or in good shape still. Truck is only 7months old.
I've mounted my gopro to see if I can see anything strange but all looks good.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the clunking/pop sound when leaving my drive way, going over speed bumps on an angle and sometimes when I'm just driving in general. Reminds me of metal binding against something then slipping off.
I understand that when you put an after market part on it can void warranty.
I've retorqued everything underneath the rear of the truck and all bushings are either new or in good shape still. Truck is only 7months old.
I've mounted my gopro to see if I can see anything strange but all looks good.

I don't know if it makes you feel any better but I occasionally get the same noise with my Icon springs. Never had the noise before the install and I sometimes get it now. If I'm pulling out of my driveway and the truck articulates over the lip, I'll almost always get a pop/click/clunk sound when the truck is cold. I almost never get it going over speed bumps and it seems to happen less when I'm coming home. I don't know if that's a result of the truck being warm or maybe some part got lubricated with rain water (I live in the PNW ...). Whatever the case, I don't worry about it too much as I've seen this be a recurring theme with these Icon springs and I don't think any damage is being done. I also plan to trade the truck in after a couple years so I'm not sweating it.

lilgsx96

Reaction score
I don't know if it makes you feel any better but I occasionally get the same noise with my Icon springs. Never had the noise before the install and I sometimes get it now. If I'm pulling out of my driveway and the truck articulates over the lip, I'll almost always get a pop/click/clunk sound when the truck is cold. I almost never get it going over speed bumps and it seems to happen less when I'm coming home. I don't know if that's a result of the truck being warm or maybe some part got lubricated with rain water (I live in the PNW ...). Whatever the case, I don't worry about it too much as I've seen this be a recurring theme with these Icon springs and I don't think any damage is being done. I also plan to trade the truck in after a couple years so I'm not sweating it.

I too have Icons that make popping or clunking noise at low speed. I had it before a long trip to Baja last week and I still have it now. It suxs to hear it but it's just part of the game.

OP
OP
M_NorthRaptor

M_NorthRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm happy people are speaking up about the leafs making the noises. I've had mine on since Xmas time and just started doing this about 2 weeks ago or so hence my write up but it's starting to sound like the noise is the leafs by sounds of the forum.
Wondering why and what on the leafs is making those sounds.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically leaf spring noise is from the isolator pads being worn, or debris stuck between them. ATQ makes some aftermarket pads, but they're pricey and not sure if the Icon's are different. I'd recommend cleaning between the pad and spring and see if there is any abnormal wear first