Volant issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Is this the same truck you have the PCM problem with?

The transmission control module yes and that was caused by the tune upload as a matter of fact. The 5.4 had separate computers and the tune took forever to upload. I believe my battery may have died during the tune process which caused all of that havoc. My truck shifted that way before and after I had the TCM replaced. I ended up scrapping the CAI because I was gun shy about the tune for a long time and couldn't make it work. I still get nervous every time I plug in the SCT device lol.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The transmission control module yes and that was caused by the tune upload as a matter of fact. The 5.4 had separate computers and the tune took forever to upload. I believe my battery may have died during the tune process which caused all of that havoc. My truck shifted that way before and after I had the TCM replaced. I ended up scrapping the CAI because I was gun shy about the tune for a long time and couldn't make it work. I still get nervous every time I plug in the SCT device lol.

Ya, I dont blame ya. Only way I would ever run a tune is to purchase a new PCM have it and new keys matched to the truck. Use it for any tune I add and keep the original incase anything happened.

Dubless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Corsa equivalent (44388) to the Volant on my truck a few weeks ago. I'll admit when I first installed it the truck moaned and vibrated like a $2.... Thought long and hard about returning it but didn't want to eat the restocking fee so I took it on as a challenge to fix it. And Im glad I did. After a week the moaning, bellowing, drone or whatever you want to call it reduced dramatically. It was still there but only between 1.7k -2k under load but everywhere else was fine. I also had some Damplifier Pro (Butyle based )deadener left over from a previous install so I went ahead and damped all the interior surfaces of the box including the lid and the bracket holding the reservoir tank. Then used some leftover 3m weatherstripping under the box where it rests on the metal. I also notched the two mounting bracket holes for res tank. That way I could position the tank so that it wouldnt rest against the master cylinder. These mods eliminated ALL the annoying resonance, rattles, and pedal vibrations. Last piece of the puzzle was the drone or bellowing as I call it. I tried plugging the front facing intake hole but that did nothing. In fact I could swear the truck ran worse. Apart from putting back the stock Heimoltz resonator and intake tube I decided to run a optimized tune to see if it could help. I figure if I decided to go stock resonator and tube I could still run the tune. Well Im happy to say that the tune did the trick. The bellowing is now more like a roar and sounds nice and aggressive. I'm hoping the adaptive strategy of truck doesn't relearn its old ways but I don't that'll be the case.

OP
OP
bigsplash

bigsplash

Reaction score
I installed the Corsa equivalent (44388) to the Volant on my truck a few weeks ago. I'll admit when I first installed it the truck moaned and vibrated like a $2.... Thought long and hard about returning it but didn't want to eat the restocking fee so I took it on as a challenge to fix it. And Im glad I did. After a week the moaning, bellowing, drone or whatever you want to call it reduced dramatically. It was still there but only between 1.7k -2k under load but everywhere else was fine. I also had some Damplifier Pro (Butyle based )deadener left over from a previous install so I went ahead and damped all the interior surfaces of the box including the lid and the bracket holding the reservoir tank. Then used some leftover 3m weatherstripping under the box where it rests on the metal. I also notched the two mounting bracket holes for res tank. That way I could position the tank so that it wouldnt rest against the master cylinder. These mods eliminated ALL the annoying resonance, rattles, and pedal vibrations. Last piece of the puzzle was the drone or bellowing as I call it. I tried plugging the front facing intake hole but that did nothing. In fact I could swear the truck ran worse. Apart from putting back the stock Heimoltz resonator and intake tube I decided to run a optimized tune to see if it could help. I figure if I decided to go stock resonator and tube I could still run the tune. Well Im happy to say that the tune did the trick. The bellowing is now more like a roar and sounds nice and aggressive. I'm hoping the adaptive strategy of truck doesn't relearn its old ways but I don't that'll be the case.

What tune are you running?

As I continue my normal daily driving, at off peak hours, my mpg has increased up to 13.5. The Texas heat and humidity during the middle of the day surely introduces some nice hot air to reduce efficiency.

I do appreciate all of the input...will look into some tuning options as comsideration.

Cheers!

Dubless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im running the 91 performance tune from Mike @ 5Star. When you order the tune you need to fill out a Vehicle Info form where you specify any current mods. I listed my Intake and exhaust mfg and pn. Im not sure they actually adjust the tune to my specific intake or just use generic values for a cai. Irregardless it did the trick for me. I still may go back to my stock intake resonator. Not because of sound quality or droning but just because of asthetics. I like having that box across the front of the throttle body that says 6.2L. I have a 3.5" to 4.0" silicon coupler that i'll use to connect to the Corsa intake tube and a 1/2" & 1/4" body plug to seal off the extra vacuum connections. I only need to chop off ~4-5 inches of the tube so i'll still be using 99% of the corsa intake.

Last edited:

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also installed a Volant. The reason, IMO, is with this and other CAI's, the "intake baffle's" are removed and you'll get the drone with any full intake tube CAI. I installed a Volant on my 10' 5.4 and had the same drone at around 2k rpm's as my 13 does now, the 5.4 picked up fuel mileage. The 13' stayed about the same. I ran a tank of 87 out then 2 tanks of 93 before I installed a custom tune. I was getting about 13.9 with CAI alone, went to around 14.5 after tune mixed city/hwy driving not sure on sustained hwy miles yet but was getting 17 on instant mpg, doesn't mean anything. Need to run a bit more with new tune and higher grade fuel.

Although the stock intake tube diameter is the same size as CAI tubes, the intake horn on the filter box is smaller, and therefor is restrictive. The "Growl" is half the reason to put a CAI on! Lol. You do need to tune your Raptor to truly benefit the CAI. The Volant may or may not be (owners choice) one of the better CAI's, I like the fact that they have a sealed box, not a open top trash catcher, is built well and comes with real hardware and if you add the snorkel, it pulls all its air from outside the engine compartment. Just my observations and 2 cents.

The ROUSH CAI and K&N (which looks to be about the same thing to me) retains the baffle and you may want to see if those guys have the drone. I just don't dig the open tops to much.

The increased sounds is definitely 75% of why to do a CAI, but a bellow and almost ***** drone when ON-OFF-ON throttle again is NO GOOD. ;-)

The Volant set up out of the box drove me crazy, it's too loud and I am not a boy toy racer runnning around wanting everyone to look at me! I running the Volant (power core)with the stock intake tube, the ram air snorkle and a 5 star tune. This has eliminated the part throttle drone, it has a healthy intake noise when your on it but is almost as quiet as stock crusing. With the 5 star tune on 87 perf and the truck loaded with three guys and chase parts for the Vegas to Reno race I averaged 15.3 on my way to Vegas from so cal. Speed for the trip was cruise set at 76 gps said 78 and only one stop, I'm happy with that

So you are where I may end up...but I am hoping to figure out how to baffle the drone/bellow without having to go all the way back to the stock 6.2L Baffle Box...how easy was it to hook that up the Volant Tubing?

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Im running the 91 performance tune from Mike @ 5Star. When you order the tune you need to fill out a Vehicle Info form where you specify any current mods. I listed my Intake and exhaust mfg and pn. Im not sure they actually adjust the tune to my specific intake or just use generic values for a cai. Irregardless it did the trick for me. I still may go back to my stock intake resonator. Not because of sound quality or droning but just because of asthetics. I like having that box across the front of the throttle body that says 6.2L. I have a 3.5" to 4.0" silicon coupler that i'll use to connect to the Corsa intake tube and a 1/2" & 1/4" body plug to seal off the extra vacuum connections. I only need to chop off ~4-5 inches of the tube so i'll still be using 99% of the corsa intake.

Did you end up doing this? If so, what was your final parts count please?

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

I have the 5 Star Tune...93/Firm Shifts...and I installed that 2 days B/F I did the Corsa/Volant GenII CAI, and the CAI does all those noises you are talking about when on the highway...on off on off gas...it's right there...and then blends into the acceleration, and same thing at low speeds when under load or really getting into the gas from being on/off/on the gas again...I want to KILL this noise.

Vibration wise...I can feel it in the pedal a hair, but nothing to worry about.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

I have the 5 Star Tune...93/Firm Shifts...and I installed that 2 days B/F I did the Corsa/Volant GenII CAI, and the CAI does all those noises you are talking about when on the highway...on off on off gas...it's right there...and then blends into the acceleration, and same thing at low speeds when under load or really getting into the gas from being on/off/on the gas again...I want to KILL this noise.

Vibration wise...I can feel it in the pedal a hair, but nothing to worry about.