Volant issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have read quite a few differing opinions on that. I always thought it was best to at least reset the ECM so that it could recalibrate. If not go the tune route.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you do not need a tune with a cai. you do not have more air coming in... this is BS to sell you something .

Hummmm. Nobody is trying to sell anything here.

This is real world experiences from other Raptor owners.

That inlet port that is facing through the fender side on the stock box is very restrictive.

Last edited:

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
you do not need a tune with a cai. you do not have more air coming in... this is BS to sell you something .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression the stock MAF can read more than what it reads stock for safety reasons. If you peg a MAF, you then have unmetered air going into the engine which is never a good thing (lean conditions).

Reason I think that is because on the 99-04 Lightnings, you could do a 4# pulley swap and tune and the stock MAF was fine. Going to a 6+# lower pulley needed an upgraded MAF sensor to account for the extra air going into the motor.

In theory, a CAI frees up the restriction of the stock air intake and allows a small amount more of air into the motor which helps it breathe/make more power. I've always been under the impression that if you mess with the intake or exhaust side of the motor (not talking a cat-back but something like headers) you'll need a tune.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're talking about F.A.I. and the OP is N.A. two different animals.

And yes you are right, LSU! (damn phone didn't post this sentence)

This is all in the Tune, I'm running the Whipple and have run the 3.375 pulley, no need to swap out the M.A.F sensor.

Last edited:

raptor99

Reaction score
i bought the volant had it on for a week hated it put stock back on. i had a vibration through my gas peddle it was annoying so i got rid of it

Dkyle1220

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Volant installed ill admit at first I was very very loud. I've had it for a year now and get 14.5 going 75 and the resonance has decreased considerably.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score

i won't question your input Hock but when I had my 2010 I did NEED a tune when running a CAI. without it my engine would hit the rev limiter in first before shifting. it only did it with the CAI installed and a tune fixed the problem. :shrug:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i won't question your input Hock but when I had my 2010 I did NEED a tune when running a CAI. without it my engine would hit the rev limiter in first before shifting. it only did it with the CAI installed and a tune fixed the problem. :shrug:

Is this the same truck you have the PCM problem with?

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Volant intake fitment issues have been taken care of with their redesigned unit. Although, there are still companies out there that have the old units in stock still and are selling them out before ordering new ones. This is a fact that I have found over the past couple of months working with the Volant stuff to figure out the issues with them.

The noise associated with the Volant installation is not exclusive to the Volant intake. Any aftermarket intake you install that eliminates the stock resonator will cause the same increase in noise under throttle. The factory resonator is what keeps it quiet.

There IS a CHANGE in airflow with the installation of an intake. This does effect the tuning of the vehicle. The MAF sensor is suppose to read a certain volume of air and the aftermarket intake changes that flow, whether it is a great increase in volume or not and whether the change in average intake temperature is a lot or not; changing those parameters will affect how the engine runs. I have seen many people wind up with losing mileage numbers when installing an intake without tuning. That doesn't mean that they will all be that way, every single vehicle out there is different, driving habits and conditions play a large role in it as well. But in the end, if you change the intake airflow OR exhaust flow (not including just a catback exhaust) you will need a tune to take FULL advantage of the intake.

Backing up this point, I have actually seen cold air intakes that cause a major loss in power and in some cases caused a CEL because the MAF sensor location wasn't designed into the intake tube properly and caused major changes in the airflow readings through the ECM.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Also, since it was mentioned. I am NOT trying to sell anything with these posts. As a matter of fact, I have stopped recommending the Volant intakes for the time being. This has nothing to do with fit and finish and everything to do with the turn around of shipping the new models drop shipped from Volant. They are averaging 4-6 weeks for shipping new intakes and that is just too long for most customers.