Vendor feedback/issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good topic Greg.

So maybe a compromise would be to make the vendor aware of the problem and give them the opportunity to rise to the occasion and immediately fix the problem (some do! I give you Awesome Dawson as exhibit A) However if they do not, then inform them that they have exactly ____ time period before all hell breaks loose on the forum and they get a bad rap.

I agree that some have to be forced to do the right kind of customer service. Either way, I would certainly like to hear how responsive vendors are when issues arise. Good Bad or Ugly. I refuse to do business with those who treat me like they don't need my business.

I agree. I often have issues, cause I'm a clutz. But so far every vendor has been terrific at fixing whatever needed fixing.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree Greg, don't like these delays, and sharing your experience is what a forum is suppose to be all about. I got flack also for my dealings with ADD but in no way shape or form were they going to step up.. And it still took a lot of time to get so much as a phone call and I thank this forum for even getting that. Vendors should know full well behavior good bad or ugly will be exposed in a public format and nobody should be required to hold back for fear of offending a vendor. But it would be nice to hear more about positive events also.. Maybe a vendor execution area to say it the way it is.. lol.. But yes you should never be required to make an extra effort to make a company do the right thing...

While forum members should certainly utilize this forum to express concern/frustration/disappointment with a FRF Vendor over a product/shipping dispute....members should also refrain from continuing to bashing said vendor at every opportunity once the original complaint/post has been made....

Additionally, when a members has a Positive experience, they should certainly post the details as the door swings both ways.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While forum members should certainly utilize this forum to express concern/frustration/disappointment with a FRF Vendor over a product/shipping dispute....members should also refrain from continuing to bashing said vendor at every opportunity once the original complaint/post has been made....

Additionally, when a members has a Positive experience, they should certainly post the details as the door swings both ways.

Well I would say if a vendor does not want to get glaring problems exposed each and every time their name comes up then they might want to jump on the issues when they occur and not ignore the problem....

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While generally almost all of them jump all over the issue and resolve the problem.. There have been a few that had email, phone, staff and other issues that prevented them from resolving problem quickly..

I disagree with spamming multiple threads about a vendor when one is more than effective..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score

This topic has been addressed before but it's an important one especially for folks new to this site (and others around the interwebs). IMO:

* It's the customer's hard earned money being spent. Customers want quality products and services.

* It's the vendors' business - most live on the money they make and support their families. It's serious business for them too.

* The typical gap between vendors and customers (in all business dealings large and small) is understanding and MANAGING CUSTOMER EXPECTATIONS. Selling to the public is the most difficult of all transactions and relationships to manage (as opposed to business-to-business). Understanding what the customer wants and EXPECTS (these are rarely the same) and then MANAGING the customers' expectations is very difficult and challenging for vendors/suppliers.

* Customers would be wise to understand their own expectations and communicate them to the vendor(s). While a transaction may appear to be "I'm buying a bumper for X dollars" it's ALWAYS much more complicated than that.

* Vendors need to provide excellent service. Products are typically products. Some you like and many you don't. What sets vendors apart is service and COMMUNICATION especially on transactions where there's no face-to-face meeting or interaction.

* Problems will arise (quite often). When they do, everyone must communicate more! Customers need to explain the problem and what they want to have done so it's fixed to their satisfaction. The vendors cannot make you happy if you don't explain what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix it and make you happy.

* If you're not happy contact the vendor AGAIN. And let them know you're not happy. Let them know what's wrong and what it will take to make you happy. Even if you've done it once - do it again.

* When things aren't going well (communication and/or service breakdown), have a bit more patience BEFORE you go online and tell the world all about how the vendor screwed up and how much you think they suck. These are relationships. You wouldn't post online about how your friend was a jerk - give the vendor a chance (another chance). There's ALWAYS TIME TO GO NUCLEAR.

ONCE YOU GO NUCLEAR AND TELL THE WORLD HOW MUCH THE VENDOR SUCKS AND HOW THEY MADE YOU UNHAPPY...

YOU CAN'T TAKE IT BACK AND IT DOESN'T (EVER) GO AWAY.

There are businesses involved and people and families behind those businesses. Give them a chance to make things right. And be absolutely sure you've done all you can do to communicate with them by PHONE not just by email. Reach out to the GM or call the owner - get their attention. And let them know how unhappy you are with them and how, if they cannot get it right after all you've been through, you will go nuclear on them. If that doesn't get their attention then shame on them. And if you go nuclear too soon, shame on you.

Until you've owned/run a business you don't know what's really involved. Until your business has been slammed on the internet you don't really know what it's like.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Well I would say if a vendor does not want to get glaring problems exposed each and every time their name comes up then they might want to jump on the issues when they occur and not ignore the problem....

Sure. But too many people ASSUME that the vendors see every thread and every post and every mention of their company.

Think about it - how many forums, threads, posts and mentions are there on the internet about some of these manufacturers and products?

How many people do you think they have to comb the interwebs to find them and how many hours do you think they spend to search for them?

JUST CALL THE COMPANY YOU BOUGHT FROM! IF YOU DIDN'T CALL THEM WHEN YOU PLACED YOUR ORDER THAT WAS YOUR FIRST MISTAKE! AND IF YOU DIDN'T CALL THEM AGAIN WHEN THERE'S A PROBLEM THEN MAYBE YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Last edited:

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let's look at the other side of the coin:

How many times have you seen a post on this forum where someone ask "what is the best bumper?", "what is the best lights?" ect. Vendors are quick to respond to these threads with "contact us and we will set you up."

My point is this, vendors are quick to get online to procure more business yet when there is negative comments online, some vendors choose not to respond. You can't have it both ways. If you do business online (and most do these days), you have the responsibility to communicate online accordingly.

Yes, I agree that the buyer and the seller should try to resolve their issues offline but when the buyer does not get a return call then they have no choice but to get online and tell their story.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is easy to say, oops "we didn't see this thread until someone pointed it out."

3 vendors have said that..

I understand some of these companies are mom and pop shops and can not monitor forums, respond to emails or answer the phone.

Other potential customers need to know that up front (set the expectation). If the see it on the forums that company xyz super muffler bearings are the best thing ever. Then see other customers comment on the forum about delays, or shortages. That is a lot better then racking up a crap ton of orders and nothing is said about a delay.

An informed customer is more patient than a customer kept in the dark..

Here are some potential benefits of an open and honest forum:

Intellectual exchange
Learning new ideas and refining old ones
Enjoying community membership
Influencing the forum's evolution
Contributing to others
Making new friends and contacts
New business leads
Keeping up with current events
Learning about new opportunities

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
but when the buyer does not get a return call then they have no choice but to get online and tell their story.

After how many calls and emails? And what does "telling their story" entail?

The issue here is what is posted on the internet stays on the internet. When you get crappy service from a brick-and-mortar company do you go online and "tell their story?" Vendors advertised on the forums should be treated like others people buy from. And like I said, the relationship should start out with a phone call(s), include a phone call when placing the order and phone calls by both parties to follow-up on the status of production, delivery schedule and post-delivery problems.

From my experience, these issues typically involve problems caused by BOTH parties and buyers need to not be so quick to go nuclear by "telling their story" online.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look simple enough in my case, I run several business's and many people at times. Ignored problems just get worse not better over time. In my case with the company that I shall refer to as nameless ignored pleas from me to help. In my case I simply wanted to get problems resolved and was repeatedly told "We will call you back"... lol..

So after the fact months later I finally get a call from the right person, to late to do anything to help me but at least a call, "that's all I really wanted".

So in my case and my event I can say that I do believe this forum was instrumental in at least being heard by the one person that's suppose to be able to make a difference.

I think it was in every unhappy customers best interest to make a fuss to get results. Otherwise I would be ignored not intentionally but by the simple facts your right, How could anyone review every single post in every forum that could possibly include them. In my case it really was over a half dozen calls with promises to return calls, then I was told no message was ever given to the guy in charge.. Hmmmm how is that possible, but apparently it is.. For everyone who owns a business the internet has taken many by surprise by the ability for complaints to get out, and get out of hand...

This experience has been eye opening for me as well, as an owner to stay on top of things or they can quickly get out of control causing irreparable harm to ones self..

I have formed a business policy since my early days to return calls and help customers, even if its just a call to say hey " I have not forgotten you and I am working on the problem" ... I mean really how long does that take?

But if you want to protect your own name don't ignore your customer as a one time thing and treat them as if your family depends on the income from them....

Sorry to long but this was a trying event for my family... Frustrating to say the least...

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The forum is useful to get information to other customers that might not know there is an issue.. And allow them to make informed decisions and know what to look for.

Example (not calling this vendor out but it is the best example):

The adjustment knobs on Icon shocks sticking and becoming useless in winter conditions.

This is an item most members mess around with daily and would know there was an issue if it wasn't posted on the forums. Sure in desert/dry environments these knobs work perfectly. In climates where you experience snow, road salt, etc they will freeze up and become useless. ICON is aware of issue and improving the design because it was more then one member..

Same thing goes with M&R fog light kits. There was an issue, it was posted and other members started looking. It turns out a quality control issue and they fixed the issue.

RPG and sagging national springs, what started as one truck, it was posted and others started noticing the same thing. RPG stepped up and fixed the issue.

Raptor Retrofit had issues with relay modules after enough members reported issues he went to manufacturer to come up with a solution.

The forum is a great way of product development, problem tracking and resolution.. If the vendor handles the situation and uses the information from forum members as a way to improve products..