Wrap Feedback?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bashby

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM All,
After a trip to Mojave this past weekend I have some major pinstripes on my year old truck. Detail scheduled for Sat to see how much I can get buffed out, but not very hopeful.

Curious if anyone in So Cal has done a wrap and could provide any feedback. How long does it last? Maintenance? Washing? How do they do in heat? We have a house in Havasu and wondering if the heat in the summer will breakdown the wrap faster. Any feedback on your experience is appreciated.

Also, any shop suggestions in OC area.

Thanks in advance.
Brandon

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll be surprised how well you can hide them without getting them all the way out with I believe what they call the 5-5-5 method? Something I've recently seen in detailing but I've been doing it for years without a real name. You just take a moderate compound on a microfiber pad and take about 5 seconds with a little pressure and run the length of the scratch. You'll still see it under very intense light but otherwise it wont be noticeable. you are taking the edge off the scratch and rounding it changing the way it reflects light. ie in general day light. Then if you PPF it you'll never see them.

I'd recommend PPF over a wrap. They hold up to UV etc much better and have 10 year warranties. I've heard horror stories of wraps on vehicles that sit in intense heat / outside all the time and believe they should be removed every couple of years.

I've had XPEL on my 18 Gen 2 for over 6 years and its worked great helping to keep the pinstripes down.

OP
OP
Bashby

Bashby

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to tackle my truck with this method today before the game. Plan on doing a section at a time. Finally really looked at the truck yesterday after training. Even the lights are scratched up. Definitely getting a PPF after this clean up. Let’s hope ot all goes well. Thanks for the feedback!

dundon929

Reaction score
I don't know much about wraps, but I have buffed quite a few scratches out of my vehicles in the past with a DA and some proper pads. I would think a ppf would hold up better to scratching and I know Xpel will actually cure those scratches with some warm water. The wrap on the other hand...I don't know if those scratches would be repairable and might even tear the wrap if you're looking to off road again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter