DIY Paint Correction/Coating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
pierceography

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stages of paint correction is going to be vehicle dependent. Mine came right off the truck, parked inside overnight, no-one touched it at the dealership and I took it home. I didn't need much. I've seen some on the lots though that I thought looked terrible though. So base your decision on what you see.

Yeah, I'm sure lot trucks get washed daily after test drives. Mine's an order, so hopefully not many washes and I can get away with just polishing to remove the CC damage.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the process though. I'm in my element when taking time on something I take pride in.

mikelivingstrong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many stages of paint correction did you do or plan on doing to your '18? I'm hoping to be able to get away with just polish and no cutting. I'm going to make sure the dealership doesn't wash the truck at all before I take it home.

Thanks for the tips. I was going to start correcting my F150 this weekend, but have a bunch of fall yard work to take care of, so it'll have to wait for another couple weeks. Though the Raptor arrives in mid/late-December, so practicing in colder weather is probably for the best anyway.

I have not yet done my raptor. I got it two weeks ago and have not had time to get to it (my second child was born one week before I got the truck and I have had family in town) I plan on taking it off road this weekend so a bath and some work will be going into it soon. I will take before and after pictures and let you know what I use. I will be using a paint sealant and wax afterwards also. I tell you everything I use when done.

SnowDawg

Reaction score
Why do a paint sealant and wax after? I could see wax to possibly deepen the shine, but you'll be covering the ceramic layer thus I'd think you'd negate it's benefit of non stick. Just maintain monthly or so to touch up the ceramic should suffice

OP
OP
pierceography

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not yet done my raptor. I got it two weeks ago and have not had time to get to it (my second child was born one week before I got the truck and I have had family in town) I plan on taking it off road this weekend so a bath and some work will be going into it soon. I will take before and after pictures and let you know what I use. I will be using a paint sealant and wax afterwards also. I tell you everything I use when done.

That would be awesome, thanks! And congratulations on the addition to your family, and my condolences on the loss of your sleep schedule and sanity.

mikelivingstrong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do a paint sealant and wax after? I could see wax to possibly deepen the shine, but you'll be covering the ceramic layer thus I'd think you'd negate it's benefit of non stick. Just maintain monthly or so to touch up the ceramic should suffice

I add wax after to give it extra shine and depth. Plus I think it helps make the sealant last longer. Who knows honestly if it does anything other than add to look. I enjoy it and I like seeing my vehicles look as good as possible. I'm super **** about how my vehicles look. Especially not that I have educated myself on detailing.

mikelivingstrong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be awesome, thanks! And congratulations on the addition to your family, and my condolences on the loss of your sleep schedule and sanity.

Thanks! Thank God for caffeine and alcohol helps me stay safe and awake lol. I have spent countless hours watching videos and reading about detailing. There are so many products, techniques and advice that I can understand how lost you can get in it all. I am more than happy to share and show what has and does work for me! Like the saying goes sharing is caring

SnowDawg

Reaction score
I add wax after to give it extra shine and depth. Plus I think it helps make the sealant last longer. Who knows honestly if it does anything other than add to look. I enjoy it and I like seeing my vehicles look as good as possible. I'm super **** about how my vehicles look. Especially not that I have educated myself on detailing.

Totally get it. Make sure to refresh the ceramic layer though. It fills in the defects that are worn away from normal washing/ect. That will make is last longer as well.

mikelivingstrong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally get it. Make sure to refresh the ceramic layer though. It fills in the defects that are worn away from normal washing/ect. That will make is last longer as well.

I use synthetic sealant like jetseal(chemical guys) it power lock(jescar) I thought about doing a ceramic coat but decided against it

SnowDawg

Reaction score
Oh, I had to go back and reread your post. I thought you were putting sealant and wax over ceramic. I'm back on track now. Yeah, up until recently that's what I always did too, great results. I'm hoping ceramic will help me keep it cleaner through winter this year so I changed things up a bit.

mikelivingstrong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I had to go back and reread your post. I thought you were putting sealant and wax over ceramic. I'm back on track now. Yeah, up until recently that's what I always did too, great results. I'm hoping ceramic will help me keep it cleaner through winter this year so I changed things up a bit.

my main reason for not going ceramic is kind of two fold. If i get a scratch of something on a panel i have to strip to coat via compound and then reapply. When you open the bottle of creamic coating it starts curing and you only have a certian amount of time to use it. So if i strip one panel to buff out a scratch then i an left with panel with out the coating or buy a new bottle of the coating. considering i plan on taking my truck off road a good amount i know scrathes and shit will happen. I would perfer to keep it easy to fix and reapply a sealant than go through dealing with a creamic coating. I think if the truck were not going off road much or in a harsh winter area with loads of salt i would do a creamic coat but here in sunny calli i think good ol paint sealant and wax will serve me better.