GEN 1 Field repair advice please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegsey

Reaction score
My raptor is broken down in an inaccesible location off road. I need advice on what to take and how to diagnose and fix it in place please.

The Truck

2013 Ford F150 Raptor 6.2

The Problem

The problem appeared fairly suddenly. As I was driving, the truck lost all power and would not rev. After a few moments the engine died altogether. Engine management light came on and I read the codes onboard. P0103 and p0113. Unfortunately I was in an area of no signal so could not find out what the codes meant whilst with the truck. I turned off the ignition and took the key out. I tried staring it again and the truck started fine. For a few moments it ran fine, would rev and even had power. This was repeatable. It would start and be fine then after a few moments it would change to barely working then slow to a stop. I could drive it under power but only before the change. It appeared to change at the same amount of time after starting the engine each time.

The Situation

This morning I was on an off road drive through some rocky trails where you can only access using off road vehicles. We were about 3 miles from the nearest road at the time the engine gave in. For safety we were in a pair of vehicles so I got in the other and we left the truck there. It took about 1hr to drive the 3 miles back in an off road prepped land cruiser prado so you can see why it would not be a good option to recover the vehicle.

I didn't have any appropriate tools and we were in the sun with the temperature over 100deg so we didn't do a lot at the time Unfortunately.

The Plan

I am planning a trip to try and repair the truck on weds afternoon so I'm trying to gather as much information as possible now to be as prepared as can be. It will take us 2hrs to get to the beginning of the trail and at least an hour off road to reach it so I'm hoping to get this done in one trip. There will be 3 or 4 of us going and 2 or 3 vehicles so plenty of space for equipment.

The Request

As I said above, the plan is to drive out to the truck and attempt a repair. I am hoping to find someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to raptor engines to join but I am not sure this will be possible. Therefore I am trying to gather information and work out a plan and an inventory for a self repair.

Please tell me what you think I should take and what actions in what order I should take when I get there.

I am planning to take a new MAF sensor and a new AIT sensor. Are there other parts I could preemptively buy?

I will also take some basic mechanical tools and electrical tools but would appreciate if anyone can suggest any and all tools that could be helpful.

Other than that, any other constructive suggestions are appreciated.

Extra

Extra info in case it helps or you are interested.
This happened in Fujairah, on the east cost of the UAE. It is in a Wadi (dry riverbed). The truck is GCC Spec. The temperature is very high here (over 100deg).

In the cabin I have a readout for Air Intake Temperature and I had noticed it was up at 160-170deg often on the drive. This is not unusual as we were mostly at crawling pace in 4 Low with fairly tough terrain so heat builds under the hood significantly. The cooling was not a problem the coolant temperature readout had not read over 200deg all morning which was about 3-4hrs of driving in these conditions.

Anything else you guys need to know to help me please just ask. Thanks in advance!!

Also if any of you guys are in the UAE and feel like a little expedition on weds afternoon then let me know. The more the better.

StangGT5

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess whatever happened has already happened. Hopefully you got it out. If the engine restarted and ran fine, I would start with electrical issues like others have said (Fuse 27, etc.). Of course, this advice is a little late.

If you end up back on here, please update.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering about Fuse #27 too...

not betting on it, but my first thought after recently doing mine