DIY Paint Correction/Coating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
pierceography

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@AdamsPolishes Is there an ambient temperature range for application or your 9H ceramic coating? I'm in Michigan, and it's between 15 and 25 degrees outside most days this time of year. I will definitely be applying the coating (the regular 9H, not the spray) in the garage, but it's not climate controlled and the temperature is usually around 40deg.

Is ~40deg ok to apply? Or should I wait until it warms up a bit. The only challenge is I'm trying to avoid driving the truck until I have the coating on, as the more I drive it, the more I wash it, the more I will have to paint correct it.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@AdamsPolishes Is there an ambient temperature range for application or your 9H ceramic coating? I'm in Michigan, and it's between 15 and 25 degrees outside most days this time of year. I will definitely be applying the coating (the regular 9H, not the spray) in the garage, but it's not climate controlled and the temperature is usually around 40deg.

Is ~40deg ok to apply? Or should I wait until it warms up a bit. The only challenge is I'm trying to avoid driving the truck until I have the coating on, as the more I drive it, the more I wash it, the more I will have to paint correct it.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I would wait for warmer temps. A few more months of driving and washing should not result in significant paint damage.

OP
OP
pierceography

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would wait for warmer temps. A few more months of driving and washing should not result in significant paint damage.

Follow up question, @AdamsPolishes: Is there a recommended temperature range for application? For example, if we get a week where the temperature is supposed to be higher than normal, I can go ahead and start application.

Thanks.

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you/do you apply the ceramic coating over the '19 Raptor bedside graphics? They seem to be more textured than the 17/18 graphics - not sure if that makes a difference. Also, there are cutouts in the graphic where the paint comes through.

eVP%WP0oS0KdlzZ6eps7RA.jpg

Raptor Vet

Reaction score
Can you/do you apply the ceramic coating over the '19 Raptor bedside graphics? They seem to be more textured than the 17/18 graphics - not sure if that makes a difference. Also, there are cutouts in the graphic where the paint comes through.

View attachment 120148
That's a good reason to get the hair dryer and take those things off.

OP
OP
pierceography

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 120148

I agree with Raptor Vet, heat gun to pull them off. But, some do like them, and if you're one of them...

I don't have a professional opinion on this, but you can certainly ceramic coat decals. I have some aftermarket decals on my truck that I plan to coat. However, as you noted those decals have a texture to them, which could prove difficult.

I could try ceramic coating the paint, while taping off the decals with the texture. Then for the bedside decals, try a spray on coating. As noted above, the spray on is thinner, so it could be more forgiving than regular.

I will definitely note though, I've never tried this and it's just my opinion.