New member with a 'dilemma' of sorts..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svt03cobra

Reaction score
Hi all!

New member from Missouri. I am happy to be on this forum, as I've read quite a few of very helpful posts! My current quandary is that I'm looking to get another truck. I have a decent amount experience with Fords, as I have owned nd built a 2003 SVT Cobra, as well as an older F-150. I've also worked my fair share on GM Trucks, as well as import sports cars, so I would consider myself a decently well qualified shade-tree mechanic :)

My prior-to-current bug is/was to buy an older F-150, and get back into tuner cars, specifically the Lancer Evolution. For context I was looking at a build for an Evo that would get me north of 700 awhp. However, I've been thinking that perhaps owning two vehicles - a truck for utility, inclement weather and so forth, and a fun project go-fast just isn't in the cards right now. Time is tight, garage space is too. I got to thinking that maybe a better idea (and one that I've had for the past year) is to pick up an F-150 with the 3.5 eb. I was originally looking at spending sub $42k, and wanted options the Lariat provided. I was looking at MY 2018, with less than 60k miles. Goal is to do some mods, but nothing major, e.g. down pipe, intake, tune, small lift, and tires..

I got to thinking - with my most current bug of a truck and a project go-fast, that would put me in the neighborhood of spending just around the cost of a new, well optioned Lariat F-150 3.5 eb or Silverado LT Trail Boss (with the 6.2L). Honestly I think the best option for me right now is to buy one vehicle that will give me the utility and reliability I want, but still put a smile on my face. Enter a used gen 2 Raptor. Spending upwards of 50s-60k on a truck puts me in the area of a decently used Raptor. The idea of reliability, and not having to worry or do a lot of extra wrench turning is appealing..

I feel both the Silverado and F-150 will cover my must haves in a truck:
- EB 3.5 or 6.2L v8 (GM not F-150, so rules out gen 1 raptor)
- largest crew cab possible (Silverado Crew Cab, F-150 SCrew)
- flat floor in the back seat (large doggo)

In the past I have typically bought vehicles used, but given today's market it does make sense to put stock into buying a new vehicle; however, my desired spend is:
- preferred: $50,000
- willing: $55,000 (this figure could change a bit depending on certain factors that are tbd.
This pricing gets me a decently optioned Trail Boss LT or Lariat, but fully optioned models will be around $60-65k MSRP, and I have no idea what the dealers around Missouri are willing to do for 2021 Silverados and F-150s.

So, while this is a lengthy introduction, I want to get your feedback regarding suggestions and how I should spend some money :) It seems I have some decent options, but my big concerns are buying a new Silverado and completely missing out on the enjoyment of a turbo'ed motor. Getting a new F-150 is nice as I love the new looks, and buying a car brand new has inherent advantages when you're going to keep it for quite some time (5+ years). With used models I'm concerned about the typical eco boost quirks, so buying a used F-150 raptor needs to be <60k miles, and/or a Ford ESP.

Thank you for reading this far and thank you in advance for your suggestions!

- Jake

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place, lets just put aside the Silverado talk and lets just talk pick up trucks instead. WHY do you want a Raptor? My guess is you fancy the tuning ability of the 3.5ho, but you can get that elsewhere, so that leaves the rest of the capabilities of the Raptor: looks, off-road capability, and the extra girlfriends you'll have. Can you handle all the ***** women that flock to Raptors, are you man enough, just don't cave in and buy them fancy latte's at the drive thru's and I think you will manage fine like the rest of us. The Raptor also has a very plush interior with factory upfitter switches to show off to the ladies and for any on/offroad lights you might need. There are members on here who have insane hp/torq #s coming out of the Gen 2. Check out the vendors on here and see what they have produced to add ponies to an already lethally fast factory offroad truck. Enjoy the forum Jake!