Vehicle warranty vs. Mods, should I be concerned?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Retired in TN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new (to me) 2020 Raptor is scheduled for my local Ford dealer to add an AWE 0FG exhaust, a dual filter CAI, 1.5” front spring spacers (Camburg) and Ford Performance fog lights. I have been leaving messages for multiple Ford Service Advisors for the past 10 days and none will call me back. My messages list my upcoming mods and I ask how they might affect vehicle warranty. I’m sensing these guys don’t want to go on record with any assurances? I’m not a fool with unreasonable expectations and I just want a fair understanding.

My conservative wife has been riding my *ss to get an understanding prior to installing my goodies. Also, she wants us to buy an extended Ford warranty and I don’t want to want our money if the mods wreck the warranty. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine there's "zero" assurances to be given. You modify the vehicle from stock, (spacers for example), any components directly related to that change are no longer covered by any warranty. Your service advisor may turn a blind eye to some small things, but is by no means obligated to. You mod it, you own it and any problems down the road. Fog lights are obviously close to zero concern minus any wiring mishaps, but being Ford Performance and dealer installed they should stand behind their work.

Some dealers are great to work with and help with modded stuff, but don't go into this with that expectation as that can get them in trouble with Ford corporate if they warranty modified components that cost Ford money.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You’re going to get all kinds of answers on this. Some users are going to tell you “F***” it, others don’t do it. You lift the front, have money in pocket to cover a transfer case. That’s happened. The CAI isn’t likely to cause you much grief beyond DTCs if the connections go loose, but a few have had some issues. You’re also not likely to gain anything from it.

It’s going to depend on how much you need this vehicle as opposed to want it and have other transportation. if you need to stick to the warranty or close to it, I wouldn’t lift it or level it. My life has plenty of surprise expenses, and replacing CV parts and or transfer case hard parts is something I can find a better use for the money required.

YMMV.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You likely won’t get an answer from a Service Advisor; warranty determination is a case by case basis.

Any issue or failure that can be attributed to a modification is not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. They only warranty what they engineer and build; they cannot account for modifications to those systems.

For the aftermarket intake, an example would be a Check Engine Light with a DTC setting for PCV system performance. Another example would be if a clamp loosened up on the intake or one of the tubes cracked, allowing dirt/debris to be drawn into the turbochargers and engine. This is known as “dusting”, and may not be apparent until it’s too late.

Same principle applies to the lift. You’re modifying the suspension geometry and axle operating angles. So, for example, if a CV boot fails, it’s wouldn’t be covered.

To be clear, plenty of people have the mods you are asking about and have not reported issues. But it’s important to be informed on the differences between a manufacturer defect a failure attributed to an aftermarket modification.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with @FordTechOne

Bottom line, and yes—I am an enthusiast:

Dealership contractual rights allow them to profit by installing aftermarket accessories.

OEM corporate is black/white in terms of licensing. I bleed OEM 100% to the letter of the law.

This is why warranties—and contracts exist.

If corporate has to approve a problem—rarely an issue with approving any faults involving dealership installed, corporate “branded” products—including lights, intake, exhaust, etc (installed by the dealership).

Aftermarket accessories—non OEM stamped/branded are the responsibility of the aftermarket and the warranty provided by the aftermarket manufacturer.

It is this area which I believe results in confusion for consumers—where it is legally clear that the dealership backs it (not the OEM).
——————————-
NOTE: My OEM and all reputable OEMs have these policies—if warranty is a concern to you.

For example: Ford Performance (tm) lights (installed by the OEM). By that I mean the Rigid (tm) lights provided by Ford. Ford Performance (tm) exhaust—installed by dealership.

Everything else—CAI, exhaust, and especially suspension is up to the dealership (not corporate) to honor if something occurs.

If you are truly concerned—I would demand the dealer provide in writing with signature (not email, but a signed document) that they will honor any aftermarket issues that may occur—if they do.

NOTE1: When you purchase a vehicle, please read the OEM warranty. It is 100% clear.

NOTE2: The aftermarket is great! Read the warranty. I love the aftermarket.

NOTE3: Warranty is a legal contract and have an attorney review it if any confusion exists.

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It gets worse though - stupid dealers will say things like, "We won't perform the rough shifting transmission TSB on your truck because you have an intake". And when you have a P0420 code, which is a bad cat they will tell you that the intercooler is to blame along with the a pillar lights. Ford (and the idiotic dealers) really bend over backwards to screw you on every problem you have.

UsedRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just drive your truck. I've had mine for a year 44,000 miles some lights and on the second set of tires. It gets used but not abused and I have had zero issues. Was a mod head for a minute till I really got comfortable driving it hard. Only one on my horizon is shocks and a bump stop kit.