Upgraded IWE

If a full time hub was available for the Raptor would you upgrade?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have two sources of contamination with this system.. On the vent side you have environmental contamination (water/mud/dust) which in turn eats up the flimsy diaphragm.. Then you have the "sealed" vacuum side which there is grease, metal from locking collar, and moisture that seeps in from the hub side. All this junk finds it way up to the IWE solenoid and eventually causes it to fail..
The whole vacuum system works great on paper, and for street queens. But real world users will tell you they are junk.

Shifting in and out of 4wd while stopped is the best thing for these units. Also just because your stopped doesn't mean that they are fully engaged. There could be misalignment on one side, or cold weather will cause them to release slowly. So engage them when stopped and wait a few seconds, then slowly roll forward.. This will prevent the locking collar from slamming into hub gear..

The other thing when you park over night, make sure you just don't jump in and take off.. The reason why the vacuum that holds the IWE in 2wd may have bled off and the hubs might be locked without you knowing.. So you take off full throttle to create a strong vacuum and the front is locked in. The vacuum will pull the IWE locking collar off the hub gear grinding (milling) the outside edge of IWE locking collar. And you have never even put it in 4wd.. I have seen this several times, guys try to use 4wd for the first time when they actually need it, and bam the teeth get ripped off, because of the IWE vacuum let down wearing the locking collar..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

M1919A2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have two sources of contamination with this system.. On the vent side you have environmental contamination (water/mud/dust) which in turn eats up the flimsy diaphragm.. Then you have the "sealed" vacuum side which there is grease, metal from locking collar, and moisture that seeps in from the hub side. All this junk finds it way up to the IWE solenoid and eventually causes it to fail..
The whole vacuum system works great on paper, and for street queens. But real world users will tell you they are junk.

Shifting in and out of 4wd while stopped is the best thing for these units. Also just because your stopped doesn't mean that they are fully engaged. There could be misalignment on one side, or cold weather will cause them to release slowly. So engage them when stopped and wait a few seconds, then slowly roll forward.. This will prevent the locking collar from slamming into hub gear..

The other thing when you park over night, make sure you just don't jump in and take off.. The reason why the vacuum that holds the IWE in 2wd may have bled off and the hubs might be locked without you knowing.. So you take off full throttle to create a strong vacuum and the front is locked in. The vacuum will pull the IWE locking collar off the hub gear grinding (milling) the outside edge of IWE locking collar. And you have never even put it in 4wd.. I have seen this several times, guys try to use 4wd for the first time when they actually need it, and bam the teeth get ripped off, because of the IWE vacuum let down wearing the locking collar..

Thanks. This is the best explanation (non-tech) about this issue and offering an evaluation of how to reduce wear/tear on the components. I personally like the idea of manually lock/unlock hubs.

M1919A2

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am going to do everything I can to involve companies to help developing this fix. I have already approached warn, borg warner, icon, rpg,and roush. I have shared all my finding and observations to them in hopes one of them would see the potential value of this fix. I am going to make every attempt to make this manual locking hub.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am going to do everything I can to involve companies to help developing this fix. I have already approached warn, borg warner, icon, rpg,and roush. I have shared all my finding and observations to them in hopes one of them would see the potential value of this fix. I am going to make every attempt to make this manual locking hub.

If there a solid way for the manual hubs put me down for a set. I haven't owned a ford yet that hasn't failed.... except for the raptor but I know its only a matter of time.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Mile marker is some that people used back home. Just FYI.

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely like to have manual locking hubs in a Raptor.
It's time Ford allowed the option on the Raptor.

I would think that Ford would save time on the assembly line also.
The axles come into the line already to go.
No need to attach the vacuum plumbing.

Let's see what they offer in 2014.
I am ordering for 2014...... C'mon Ford!!

Keep up the good fight Greg!

Last edited:

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will have to check mine out. I think I can check by trying to move axles at idle, if they free wheel IWE is working correctly?
Every time I engage 4x4 I shift to neutral even around 40 mph. Lots of 4x4 in and out at the SnoBall no problems.
I was my dads auto lock hubs growin up....."Tyler while your out there locking the hubs get me another beer"
We used to run with hubs locked then engage / disengage transfer case as needed. (89 F150 XLT Lariat)

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will have to check mine out. I think I can check by trying to move axles at idle, if they free wheel IWE is working correctly?
Every time I engage 4x4 I shift to neutral even around 40 mph. Lots of 4x4 in and out at the SnoBall no problems.
I was my dads auto lock hubs growin up....."Tyler while your out there locking the hubs get me another beer"
We used to run with hubs locked then engage / disengage transfer case as needed. (89 F150 XLT Lariat)

That sounds like me!!! "Hey while your out getting the gate can you lock the hubs in" It got so old that I would just lock them in before getting the gate haha

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How dose the Torsten work? Would them gears be good for the hubs? Their need to be something changed. I herd mine pop when on the grass and it should have been locked in tight by then. Looks to me like they are cheep little gears would jest beefing them up and making a better spring help?

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How dose the Torsten work? Would them gears be good for the hubs? Their need to be something changed. I herd mine pop when on the grass and it should have been locked in tight by then. Looks to me like they are cheep little gears would jest beefing them up and making a better spring help?

Not really, increasing the spring pressure would cause them to slam into the rotating hub gear and snapping the teeth off..

SDHQ is on this project of mine also.. They are seeing if they can find someone to make a locking hub.. Without changing out axles, hubs, rotors, bearings, etc..