Upgraded IWE

If a full time hub was available for the Raptor would you upgrade?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we are brainstorming here thinking about a electric collar that is the same size/shape and mounts the same way that could activated with a upfitter switch... I know this is not easy to make without a machine shop...
or like you said gut the current system and make it a electro magnet... ???

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Don't the Cv's spin anyway when in 2wd on the 2012's, they did on the Raptor that I checked out.

No.. watch the video I posted on the first page it will give you an idea how the system works
here .. Ford F150 - 4 Wheel Drive Disconnect - YouTube

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Strange because I checked out Netix Raptor and it spins in 2wd and he said it always did. I need someone to drive mine to see if mine does as well.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The spline collar (gear) of the IWE is always rotating on the geared portion of cv axle.. When the vaccum is released the spinning spline collar interfaces with moving gear on the hub and the pressure of the light spring pushes the collar over both gears locking them together.. Since everything inside if iwe housing is rotating (hub gear, cv axle gear, and spline collar) it could be done but the close tolerances it would be difficult... Something to look into...

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

dunesdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh the humanity. Sacrificing a new gear. My dealer had 3 in stock. Said they sell a lot of them. Paid $102.00 for mine. If you want my old one I can send it too you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do you still have the part # by anychance?

M1919A2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two questions:

First, Would the retro-fitting of an independent vacuum pump as used in vehicles with diesel engines eliminate some of the issues discussed here?

Second, Would bringing the vehicle to a dead stop, like one has to do to engage manual hubs, before going from 2WD to 4WD, hi or lo, eliminate a good deal of this issues discussed.

I am looking to (in the Second) keep the damage to a minimum until someone comes up with an after-market up-grade to this IWE issue.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two questions:

First, Would the retro-fitting of an independent vacuum pump as used in vehicles with diesel engines eliminate some of the issues discussed here?

Second, Would bringing the vehicle to a dead stop, like one has to do to engage manual hubs, before going from 2WD to 4WD, hi or lo, eliminate a good deal of this issues discussed.

I am looking to (in the Second) keep the damage to a minimum until someone comes up with an after-market up-grade to this IWE issue.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Yes it might but you could still get contamination..
Yes it might also... but if you have contamination it might not disengage until you get moving...

M1919A2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it might but you could still get contamination..
Yes it might also... but if you have contamination it might not disengage until you get moving...

Contamination?

In the Vacuum system?

or

at the locking splines of the hubs?