Upgraded IWE

If a full time hub was available for the Raptor would you upgrade?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It just look like it should be on a bicycle motorcycle at most. Are the gears even a half inch?

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The locking collar is almost 1/2" thick.. BUT when the 4wd is engaged the collar slides over the gears on the axle and slides onto the hub gear. The locking collar total width is split between between both hub and axle gears.. So there is less than 1/4" of metal holding holding each gear!

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some comments:

In watching that video, it is obvious that Ford is very proud of this design. But it's a bit misleading. It's a great system but only to be used sparingly. Use it too much and it will break.

And to limit wear and tear, you should come to a full stop to engage 4x4. And to disengage 4x4 also come to a full stop. >> Please correct me if I am wrong about this conclusion.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some comments:

In watching that video, it is obvious that Ford is very proud of this design. But it's a bit misleading. It's a great system but only to be used sparingly. Use it too much and it will break.

And to limit wear and tear, you should come to a full stop to engage 4x4. And to disengage 4x4 also come to a full stop. >> Please correct me if I am wrong about this conclusion.

Yes, but also when you first start in the morning, you have to allow time for hubs to disengage.. The vacuum bleeds off over night and hubs can lock in, and cause wear if you jump in and go.. You will be able to tell if you have leak down, because steering will feel heavy, and usually get better after couple minutes of driving.. Once the hubs get bad enough it will bang and click in the morning...

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is obvious that you guys know a ton more than I do but why do the hubs default to locking? It would seem the hubs would default to be in a non-locking state? Or is this a stupid question?

Yes, but also when you first start in the morning, you have to allow time for hubs to disengage.. The vacuum bleeds off over night and hubs can lock in, and cause wear if you jump in and go.. You will be able to tell if you have leak down, because steering will feel heavy, and usually get better after couple minutes of driving.. Once the hubs get bad enough it will bang and click in the morning...

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is designed to get you out of trouble not in

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

If it brakes its locked in or broke locked in.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They are designed that if there is an issue with vacuum it will automatically default to 4wd and not leave you stranded.

M1919A2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For starting up in the morning or at anytime - a vacuum gauge would seem to be a prudent addition.

Thoughts?