Upgraded IWE

If a full time hub was available for the Raptor would you upgrade?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f16YODA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an intriguing idea. But, I'd rather not be spinning my half-shafts if they're not needed.

So, what about my '04 F-250 that had the manual hub locks, but also had the electric shift-on-the-fly switch in the cab? I suspect that is just a completely different mechanism. Can anything similar be incorporated into our trucks?

Have at you!
- YODA :Jedi:

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay as far as driving with front hubs locked and transfer case in 2wd.. I have driven 106 miles and averaging 12.3 mpg.. No difference in driving feel (maybe a little drag in steering and acceleration, but not that noticeable).

Ford designed this system when it fails, it fails in the hubs lock position.. The only potential issue I can see is maybe shifting the transfer case while at speed of different rotational speeds of front and rear driveshafts. This could cause binding in the transfer case while shifting into 4wd.. Something else I will have to test out, hopefully it won't be an issue and can be resolved by stopping prior to shifting into 4wd.

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm down for a solution but really manual hubs is about the only way I want to go. I personally don't use 4x4 enough to keep the font axle locked in all the time. I think I've only really needed 4x4 once and the others were just because I could. Plus my father didn't want huge ruts in the pasture so I tried to tread lightly.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am surprised that nothing is offered in the aftermarket world. What was the floating hub system that Greg Foutz used on a Raptor, just wondering what he may have come up with.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have talked to Warn and Borg Warner and they do not see enough interest in a locking hub. They have no plans on making one because factory one works fine...

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ it does work pretty good but, not good enough for you/me and many others...
Im gonna have to get one to tear apart and do some thinking with ya on this. I really would like a hub I can connect/disconnect when I need manually not with any vacuum

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an intriguing idea. But, I'd rather not be spinning my half-shafts if they're not needed.

So, what about my '04 F-250 that had the manual hub locks, but also had the electric shift-on-the-fly switch in the cab? I suspect that is just a completely different mechanism. Can anything similar be incorporated into our trucks?

Have at you!
- YODA :Jedi:

My 2000 Excursion had the same setup as your 250 Yoda. They actually did use a vacuum system very similar to the current Ford IWE, they just also had a manual override.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Trying to make it manual. The main issue I am running into with a manual lock/unlock is from there is no easy way to access the IWE area from the outside. The hub/bearing/disk/spindle block access to locking ring..

To me simplicity is stronger, so a fully locking collar makes sense. I do understand the reason people don't want spinning half shafts..

Even from the back side (not preferable) there is not enough room to go a fork and rod to move locking collar.. The locking collar is encapsulate between IWE and back of the hub.. There is only 1/2" of freespace front to back and 1/8" around the ring..

On another note the diaphragm is very easily torn.. I was able to pull the ring off the IWE without using tools or anything.. The rubber is really flimsy..

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't the Cv's spin anyway when in 2wd on the 2012's, they did on the Raptor that I checked out.