**Updated** SYNC Secondary USB Installation Guide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LD50

Reaction score
Be careful of purchasing the one's like that off of Amazon. That looks like it may be the same one I bought that had a crossover configuration on the pins and wouldn't work at all. This is the easiest, cheapest solution I found with the minimum number of connections needed so you don't have to worry about loss or things coming unplugged behind the dash later. Plus the cable is only about 6 or 10 inches long so you don't have a bunch of extra wires to bundle.

Newegg.com - StarTech Model USBMUSBFM1 12" Mini USB 2.0 Cable - USB A to Mini B F/M F-M

Buck0095

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of putting the secondary usb in the console. The directions posted are great. My only hesitation rests in ripping things apart to get the access I need to run the extra usb line. I would like to mount it on the other side from the power (front driver side corner), with the same connection bL1X used in his rig. So, I'd be putting my hole to mount the usb at that driver side corner of the console. Anyone feel like walking me through pulling the required panels and best route to run the cable. I'm hoping I can do the set up in that location, but not sure whats behind/under the center console. Appreciate any input or feedback.

Capcity

Reaction score
I unplugged USB1, slightly filed the plastic housing surrounding the male end (see ** below) so it would fit into the USB2 port and then ran the 9L3Z14D202A cable from the usb1 slot to the glovebox to my 160 GB iPod.

With this mod you don't have to say "USB2" for the life of your install. The front dash USB port becomes USB2 (which I only use rarely, if ever) and your hard drive/ipod remains just "USB" instead of "USB2" for voice commands.

I completed the mod above when i hook an Ipod into USB 2 in the dash and use the Voice command USB 2 it replys that no USB 2 connected.

Anyone have this problem?

Fozzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem the first time I did it. You have to get the old usb filed and pushed way down into the control box. It will look like it's in, but it is not.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to thank NoCaDiver for the write up and bL1X for the link to the cable and additional information! Also wanted to give this thread a bump; I'm sure a lot of the new owners didn't know it was possible.

This was my biggest complaint with the interior of the raptor. Stupid USB cable running across my cup holders and shifter, begging someone to break in and steal everything from the console.

I didn't post any pictures because it looks identical to bL1X, which is perfect.

trugrit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One additional modification I will be doing this evening is to put a second USB drive in the glovebox. The reason being is that my son likes Gorillaz, Weird Al, and Gotye at the moment. I don't mind it being on when he is the truck (I'm a very understanding father :waytogo:) but I'm getting tired of having to skip through them when it's just me in the truck. So....I'm going to add a second USB and load his music (he also likes Linkin Park, Ozzy, and Metallica) on there so when he's with me I can just put it on USB2 and go from there.

Last edited:

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One additional modification I will be doing this evening is to put a second USB drive in the glovebox. The reason being is that my son likes Gorillaz, Weird Al, and Gotye at the moment. I don't mind it being on when he is the truck (I'm a very understanding father :waytogo:) but I'm getting tired of having to skip through them when it's just me in the truck. So....I'm going to add a second USB and load his music (he also likes Lincoln Park, Ozzy, and Metallica) on there so when he's with me I can just put it on USB2 and go from there.

Yeah, I get that. I made USB2 the factory port so I could charge things with it or put in a temporary USB drive.

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry if I missed something here but is there some advantage to doing this mod other than the obvious hidden cables? Thanks.

Dave