**Updated** SYNC Secondary USB Installation Guide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry if I missed something here but is there some advantage to doing this mod other than the obvious hidden cables? Thanks.

Dave

i like that i can have the mp3 player in the center console in the holder or just a hard drive in the bottom tucked away and just leave it plugged in and forget about it basically and when u have someone that wants to use the mp3 port in he dash its still free and usable

p3rs1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did this today. Again thanks for everyone's contributions.

The center console area pulls up very easy, I decided to run my cobra GPS power cord under as well. I ran USB2 to the glove box. I pulled out the end of USB1 that is in the sync unit and am going to run a cable from that to the center console.

I know the center console lockbox I just ordered will (again) extend the USB connection from the center console so it can be used even if the lock box is close, but I hope it also doesnt nullify the usage of the 12v adapter in the center console otherwise I'm running my GPS power cord for nothing

64auto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to do this but I am very confussed with all this USB stuff. I want the cable that plugs in to Sync system and the other end a regular USB that I can plug a Iphone, a Droid cable and maybe a drive. Just like the USB port on a computer. Also want it to be able to charge what is pluged in.

Last edited:

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to do this but I am very confussed with all this USB stuff. I want the cable that plugs in to Sync system and the other end a regular USB that I can plug a Iphone, a Droid cable and maybe a drive. Just like the USB port on a computer. Also want it to be able to charge what is pluged in.

I used the cable bL1X used in post 13. It added a full sized port in the console that screwed in and looks really professional.

You'll go from the back of the stereo to the mini-USB cable (pictured in the first post). The other end of the mini-USB cable is the standard USB connection that would connect to a computer. That end that would plug into the computer will connect to one end of the cable that is linked to in post 13. The other end of that cable will screw into the center console, after you drill the hole.

You'll be amazed how easy this is.

64auto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will that allow me to plug a charging cord from a Iphone or droid into it or will I have to have an adapter? Also where did you get the cord.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will that allow me to plug a charging cord from a Iphone or droid into it or will I have to have an adapter? Also where did you get the cord.

It will add a second USB port exactly like the existing port. If you can connect something to the port in the center, under the radio, you'll be able to connect it to the new port. The entire point of this is so you can connect USB devices, exactly like you can already, inside the center console without having the USB cable laying across the shifter or cup holders.

There are two cables. The one linked in post 13. I bought that at the site linked in post 13. The other cable is just a standard mini-USB cable you can buy anywhere that sells cables, Staples, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Target, Walmart, the Verizon store, etc.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this thread is old, and I am sorry for bringing it back to life. If you don't have the Nav option is this mod still do able? Thanks

I think so, but can't be 100% certain. The easy thing to do would be pull the center speaker from the dash and see if you have the USB ports. Should only take 5 min. with an 8mm (I think) socket. See the first two or three pictures from the very first post.