**Updated** SYNC Secondary USB Installation Guide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tools needed: 7mm socket

Items Needed The connection is a mini-USB to USB-A, both male ended cable. Then I used this cable to run it into the center console. This cable offers greater flexibility with the various tips provided. However you will end up using your female connection with this kit to connection to the mini-USB to USB-A cable thus giving up your ability to run an iPod or any other standard USB-A type device. I have mine hooked up to a 1.5" HDD in an external case which is mini-USB driven. I am still searching for the mini-USB to USB-A female cable.

There are little adapters that can be used between a mini-USB to USB-A cable and a USB extender cable and they run around $4.00. Here is a link (second one down) to the adapters. It will mean that you will run the mini-USB to USB-A male cable to the adapter and then run the USB extender from the other end of the adapter into/from the center console.

You may be able to find the parts cheaper somewhere else, these are merely links provided to show you what I am talking about and what you need.

Requirements: iPod or other harddrive device that is FAT32 formatted. Some MP3 players may not work on the USB port, this is Ford's doing not mine.

Procedure begins: In the center of the dash where the center speaker is located.

Voice Command: USB2

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

If you have any questions please ask.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Scott, thanks very much for posting your SYNC Secondary USB Installation Guide for us to refer to. I keep forgetting to get the USB cable I need to do this as I'm not happy with the iPod cable running from inside the center console to the USB port in the panel in front of the shifter.

On a side note, it's a really good idea to bring your posts here or you could deal with having them all deleted "over there" like they did to 1900+ posts I donated to them. A site that does that doesn't deserve to have the content.

2nd USB Synch plug Secondary USB USB2 USB 2 2nd USB Synch plug Secondary USB USB2 USB 2
2nd USB Synch plug Secondary USB USB2 USB 2 2nd USB Synch plug Secondary USB USB2 USB 2

Last edited:

OBXRAPTOR

Reaction score
Subtle refinement of the USB2 modification

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cable that leads from the USB port on the dash to the back of the sync unit is Ford part number 9L3Z14D202A- it is a female full size USB port on one end and usb mini male on the other. 22 bucks.

I unplugged USB1, slightly filed the plastic housing surrounding the male end (see ** below) so it would fit into the USB2 port and then ran the 9L3Z14D202A cable from the usb1 slot to the glovebox to my 160 GB iPod.

With this mod you don't have to say "USB2" for the life of your install. The front dash USB port becomes USB2 (which I only use rarely, if ever) and your hard drive/ipod remains just "USB" instead of "USB2" for voice commands.

**The usb1 and usb2 ports on the back of the sync module have mirror image automotive retainer clips on them. if you want to plug existing usb1 into the usb2 slot, just ease the plastic corner that surrounds the mini male connector and it will snap into usb2 like factory. literally about 15 strokes with a file and it snaps in.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks to Jason adding the articles tab I revisted this thread and saw, for the first time, OBXRaptor's work on switching the factory USB cable to USB 2 port. I think I'll do this so the factory USB port in the dash functions as USB 2 and then install the new USB cable (USB mini on one end and USB A male on the other end) in USB 1 port and run it into the center console to connect to my iPod. This way my iPod will continue to be the USB 1 device and anything I plug into the USB port in the dash will be USB 2.

Question 1: Will the USB port in the dash (USB 2) still be powered so I can use it to charge another device? I assume both USB cables have power running to them all the time - is this correct?

Question 2: How long of a USB cable is needed to run it from the back of the SYNC unit inside the dash into the center console? I'd like to use one cable instead of two and then use a cable adapter in the console.

Last edited:

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I put the new cable in USB1 location and move the Ford factory cable to USB2 location, will the USB in the dash be "live" so it can be used to charge devices plugged into it?

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I put the new cable in USB1 location and move the Ford factory cable to USB2 location, will the USB in the dash be "live" so it can be used to charge devices plugged into it?

Yes it will. The stock cable plugged in is just an extender to the plate. Mini male B to Female A. You just have to remove the plastic adapter thing thats attached to the male B so it can be plugged into the other side (USB2)

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe that's why the factory cable didn't fit into the USB2 slot. I'll remove the clip (that somehow didn't break when I pulled the factory cable plug out of USB1) and try plugging it again into USB2 that way my new cable going to the center console will be USB1. By the way, my SYNC automatically recognized my iPod plugged into USB2 and it started playing it - that was a plus!

Scott's post with pics of the center console side panel and existing hole inside the center console were very helpful when I did this mod. The most difficult part for me was getting my large fingers under the side of the center console (hand under the passenger seat slide rail) and pulling the iPod cable out there to connect it to the new cable I ran from the USB2 in the back of the SYNC unit.

Thanks again Scott!

Last edited: