**Updated** SYNC Secondary USB Installation Guide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wondering if someone could chime in better on these ports as power sources... Not sure if they just arnt meant to do this, or that I likley have a bad cable or hub in my setup. I was attemptiong to use this source to power some accessories on the dash and windsheild (go pro/tablet/GPS).

Long story short, using this power source I believe I fried 2 go prop batteries. Unsure what differing voltages came to play, but the go pro got pretty hot eventually shutting off. I have lots of room for faults since I used a gopro mini usb to std usb cable --> female to female usb adapter --> 4 way USB hub --> device cable

Those batteries would no longer operate the go pro after being recharged. Using different batteries, I connected a similar cable to cigarette lighter w/o issue. I was able power the device fine all day, go pro was cool in temp too. FWIW, using another cable on the tablet, i got the x'd out charging, which revealed it wasn't using an approved cable or in my case the correct current to charge wasn't present.

Any guidance from more electric current savy ppl on this source would be great, thanks!!

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think so, but can't be 100% certain. The easy thing to do would be pull the center speaker from the dash and see if you have the USB ports. Should only take 5 min. with an 8mm (I think) socket. See the first two or three pictures from the very first post.

I had forgotten all about this thread. I picked it back up tonight, I have a 2013, it don't have the speaker in the middle of the dash. I did pull the rubber may up an there are 2 screws in the top corners, but I was wondering if this might still work?

peepsnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had forgotten all about this thread. I picked it back up tonight, I have a 2013, it don't have the speaker in the middle of the dash. I did pull the rubber may up an there are 2 screws in the top corners, but I was wondering if this might still work?

Its there... but it is behind the radio. I don't know if you can reach it from the top speaker. It is on the bottom right corner of the sync screen(when looking at the screen from the front).

You might have to pull the dash.

Don

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score

should work fine. takes about 15 minutes and a 4 foot long USB cord. I did a male to female full size cable so I could terminate it in my glovebox then hook up whatever cable I wanted to that end (iphone4, iPhone 5, microusb)

works like a champ

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was thinking of doing the hdd sitting in the cell pocket, but just found a deal on 64gb flash for $24. Anyone pop a hole on the back of that small cubby hole and use that? Otherwise its never used.

jschell1309

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing this one back. Ordered these two cables off amazon to add a 2nd usb in the center console. Wanted it to look as factory as possible.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MW6HRO/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZMYEMY/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Took the center console out of my 2010 and liked the spot just below the power outlet. It had plenty of space behind for the flush mount usb. Drilled a 3/4" hole and notched it with a dremel. The usb has a small bump to fit that notch so it's won't spin around in the hole. Pressed the plug in and routed all the cable up to the sync unit. Works perfectly and looks like it was meant to be there.

fc23c615e475a2f2bccd044433417ab3.jpg
809c9979bd6c747997e5254dc5c2ef37.jpg
dace61ddea6cec84877ab22039e4b23e.jpg

DirtRacer37

Reaction score
Bringin' it Back...Again

Ah... SYNC, oh what fun. The in-dash port worked once for me; now when plugging in a flash drive, the activity indicator just does one quick "flash" like there is a bad connection. Bought a plain cable and an adaptor thinking it's just a bad dash cable and same result. Plugged plain cable into USB2 and the drive lit up and functioned perfectly. Wanting USB1 to work, I thought an update might fix it--nope-- it just deactivated the USB2 voice command (hint hint, if you're happy with your current version DO NOT UPDATE; the chick sounds like she has marbles in her mouth when saying "Bluetooth Audio" as well). Bought a SYNC module from a 2008 Exploder since it's the same generation (same IC number: 2807E-SYNC001) and the receptacles appear to be the same from the ebay pics.

What warnings do y'all have for me before I insert the plug, assuming the receptacles are identical when the box gets here?