Turbos Quit Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had one turbo go at 11,000 miles, now at 19,000 miles the other one is starting to go. It smokes white and blue (badly) and the power is lacking severely. I miss my gen 1, I regret buying this 2018 POS. Although when it runs properly it has power in a small RPM range that surpasses my 6.2L tremendously. But the handling of the truck sucks. I think they made the Gen 2 for city people that don't experience the back roads and off-road conditions. It's a nice truck to look at but I was purchasing it for function. Fingers crossed Nissan releases the Warrior soon!

The gen2 makes more power in the entire rpm range starting from about 1300rpm and quite lieterally 100% of the reviews I’ve watched and read say it outhandles the gen one on and off road. Sounds like you have a broken engine and suspension.

Rapty

Reaction score
Mine has been lousy from day one, it lugs until 4,000+ rpm and then takes off spinning and loses power after 5,000rpm. The suspension bounces so bad you can't keep it straight on rough roads especially washboard. I put 400lbs of weight in the back end to keep it from hopping around, that helped but didn't solve the problem. This truck is such a disappointment. It's my work truck and I use it as such, it doesn't get babied. We have rough roads where I live, lots of frost heaves. My gen 1 would drive straight as an arrow over almost any type of road, you could take your hands off the wheel and trust it'll keep going straight over washboard. My new Raptor went sideways on the same road and almost turfed it into the ditch. It doesn't stick to the ground, that's a discussion for another thread. As for the turbos, I made a video of the truck smoking, it was bad. The dealership said nothing was wrong when I took it in because there was no engine code coming up. They changed their minds when they seen the video but still can't figure out why it lugs and smokes so bad after changing the turbo. Ford (not the dealership) won't look into it any further unless it craters or has codes come up. It uses oil and coolant so Ford is monitoring how much it uses over 1,500 miles and yet does nothing to fix it. It's embarrassing driving a truck that smokes like this. Now the 2nd turbo is starting to go, maybe with two new turbos it'll be zippier and not smoke. My wife's Infiniti QX80 (400hp SUV) walks on this Raptor, that's pretty sad. Ford should be ashamed. There were three Gen 2's in my town, one broke leaf springs, the other had the same engine issues I have, they sent theirs to auction and I am going to do the same. I've been a Ford fan/customer for 14 years, I've had 12 Ford trucks and one Explorer, sad to say this Raptor will be my last Ford purchase. Ya it's that bad, not because of the service from the dealership but from Ford themselves.

Jake17

★ REBEL LIFE ★
Reaction score
I have an 18 with 14k miles. Had no issues with it until this morning. On the interstate with freezing rain and snow while passing someone my engine lost power. The turbos stopped working and I could barely maintain 60mph. The engine kept running but had hardly any power.

It'll eventually happen to all of 'em...FORD engineered failure
sell it to another sucker while ya can

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'll eventually happen to all of 'em...FORD engineered failure
sell it to another sucker while ya can

This guy is obviously a reincarnated Sasquatch, It is so obvious that it's ole "Sas" because "it" is so predictable. I have only purchased one truck in my many (60+) years of motoring and my 2018 Raptor is it. 20K+ miles now and runs perfectly with none of the odd maladies that a relative few experience. I'm thinking that any slight problem is amplified about 72,000 times when posted to a forum like this. If you go and lurk on just about any single-make/model forum, you will find the same type of complaints, along with some version of ole Sas there. I don't give a **** what anyone says or thinks about my stuff. I think it's quite funny that so many are butt-hurt over someone talking shit about their purchase. I buy stuff to make ME happy, not some dip on a forum, or any dip walking down the street, or even "close" family. My stuff is MY stuff.

Yep, bless Ole Sas's heart. It can't help it's complaining because it makes such ******* choices that it's pissed at itself and likes to jump on when anyone is having a problem, real or imagined.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I’m hearing a bolt on the fuel pump bracket failed and the truck was getting low fuel pressure. It’s supposedly not associated with the recall that involved the fuel pump earlier in the year. All I know so far and I’m hearing the part is on back order. Super.

My service advisor says he’s never seen this one before.
This is the second fuel pump bolt failure I've read about on here, assuming it's the HPFP.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/towed-in-today-ffs.64371/

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This guy is obviously a reincarnated Sasquatch, It is so obvious that it's ole "Sas" because "it" is so predictable. I have only purchased one truck in my many (60+) years of motoring and my 2018 Raptor is it. 20K+ miles now and runs perfectly with none of the odd maladies that a relative few experience. I'm thinking that any slight problem is amplified about 72,000 times when posted to a forum like this. If you go and lurk on just about any single-make/model forum, you will find the same type of complaints, along with some version of ole Sas there. I don't give a **** what anyone says or thinks about my stuff. I think it's quite funny that so many are butt-hurt over someone talking shit about their purchase. I buy stuff to make ME happy, not some dip on a forum, or any dip walking down the street, or even "close" family. My stuff is MY stuff.

Yep, bless Ole Sas's heart. It can't help it's complaining because it makes such ******* choices that it's pissed at itself and likes to jump on when anyone is having a problem, real or imagined.

The ‘squatch hasn’t ever been fully unsubscribed here because she maintains several active user accounts. This would be a potentially newer one.

I’ve been on a lot of forums, own a couple, moderate a few and you’re wrong about there being a sasquatch77 on every other forum or even a majority. In fact, in all my enthusiastic adventures on the internet I’ve never seen such a tolerance for trolling as on FRF. Ever. There’s some good stuff posted here, but a lot of times it gets lost because the alpha hotels drive the productive posters away.

I get it; when I moderate, I am always thinking about the ban hammer very carefully. Will whacking this account create a new problem? will all the account’s friends and “disciples” to leave, potentially impacting use traffic. I had to drive off a somewhat well known personality in the shooting community for violation of forum rules, more than once and finally I got tired of the drama this person brought. Yes, we lost some participation but recovered within a few months. I hate having to chase down silly stuff, user disputes and scold knuckleheads, but at some point you have to whack the bad accounts and be done with their melodrama.

To be fair, FRF has whacked most of the sasquatch accounts, but she is still trolling here.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
….In fact, in all my enthusiastic adventures on the internet I’ve never seen such a tolerance for trolling as on FRF. Ever. …..
To be fair, FRF has whacked most of the sasquatch accounts, but she is still trolling here.

I'll agree with your statement about FRF leniency for trolls such as Sas. You think it actually "identifies" as a female?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has been lousy from day one, it lugs until 4,000+ rpm and then takes off spinning and loses power after 5,000rpm. The suspension bounces so bad you can't keep it straight on rough roads especially washboard. I put 400lbs of weight in the back end to keep it from hopping around, that helped but didn't solve the problem. This truck is such a disappointment. It's my work truck and I use it as such, it doesn't get babied. We have rough roads where I live, lots of frost heaves. My gen 1 would drive straight as an arrow over almost any type of road, you could take your hands off the wheel and trust it'll keep going straight over washboard. My new Raptor went sideways on the same road and almost turfed it into the ditch. It doesn't stick to the ground, that's a discussion for another thread. As for the turbos, I made a video of the truck smoking, it was bad. The dealership said nothing was wrong when I took it in because there was no engine code coming up. They changed their minds when they seen the video but still can't figure out why it lugs and smokes so bad after changing the turbo. Ford (not the dealership) won't look into it any further unless it craters or has codes come up. It uses oil and coolant so Ford is monitoring how much it uses over 1,500 miles and yet does nothing to fix it. It's embarrassing driving a truck that smokes like this. Now the 2nd turbo is starting to go, maybe with two new turbos it'll be zippier and not smoke. My wife's Infiniti QX80 (400hp SUV) walks on this Raptor, that's pretty sad. Ford should be ashamed. There were three Gen 2's in my town, one broke leaf springs, the other had the same engine issues I have, they sent theirs to auction and I am going to do the same. I've been a Ford fan/customer for 14 years, I've had 12 Ford trucks and one Explorer, sad to say this Raptor will be my last Ford purchase. Ya it's that bad, not because of the service from the dealership but from Ford themselves.

These Gen 2 guys do not handle any criticism of the truck they own very well. Might as well just say "It's the greatest truck ever" or leave the forum, cause they will rake you over the coals until you do.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
These Gen 1 guys do not handle any criticism of the truck they own very well. Might as well just say "It's the greatest truck ever" or leave the forum, cause they will rake you over the coals until you do.

FIFY

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
See? Literally can't even take the criticism that they don't take criticism well.