Trans slow warm-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm often in the same position as the OP, my transmission seems to run cool/be well cooled. In stop and go traffic I can see it slowly warm up over 30-45 minutes, on a long drive on the open freeway it may take longer, and seldom gets over 180. Truck has not been modified in any way that would/should affect this. I know the procedure to check the fluid level recommends a min temp of 190*f, achieved by essentially power braking the vehicle for a period of time, or going on a sufficiently long drive. For me that might be an hour or more unless in stop and go traffic. How fast are others reaching 'operating' temp?

LeadFootLarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious about this as well. I’d like to check my level but my temps don’t get up to that temp either. I’ve also heard the dipstick is a PITA to get to

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious about this as well. I’d like to check my level but my temps don’t get up to that temp either. I’ve also heard the dipstick is a PITA to get to
It's really not too bad, LFL. You have to take off the transmission skid plate, but if you're doing an oil change not a bad idea to drop them all so you can head over to the nearest coin-op carwash and give the motor underside a good cleaning. By the time you get back home you may be close to the optimal 190* temp. On the pass side, just across from the downpipe cat is the 19mm cover holding the dipstick in. Put on your work gloves, remove the cap, pull the dipstick, reinsert and take a reading. As I seldom get up to full temp, when I did my recent drain/fill at 28K miles (preventative, just to get out the 'break-in crud and freshen up the fluid), I aimed for the bottom of the hash-marks at the "C" level. I have the A-B-C range dipstick on mine, some may have a numbered stick, but the owners manual gives you the proper reading for each one. I figured if I'm 'close' to 190* (say 160-170) and just at the bottom of the hash marks, it's doubtful I'd be over by the time I hit 190.