tires oxygen verses nitrogen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DIRTYFUN

Xpedition Ready Design
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used nitro on my sport cars and once on my motorcycle but I tend to change the pressure for different applications so went back to air. If I went to the drag strip I'd have to air down then back up when I'm done - motorcycle, kinda the same thing if I took it to the track. Felt silly paying for Nitro since I'm not Ricky Bobby and don't have a crew to do it for me. Now, if I was never needing to air down or up then I'd use nitro, my wife's Tesla will most likely be nitro filled when she ever gets it.

I off road a lot here in the Cali desert so I like to lower pressure when I get there and air up when I'm done on the side of the road. Having a VIAR comp and tank really is nice and free :) I'm not knocking nitro at all, just not really for me, for what I do.

Guess it would be cool to use the nitro filled tires to try and get high at a rave party though... j/k

OP
OP
Wilson

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am the op haha I have a van with tempest and filled the tires with nitrogen they are always off and I'm fussy with tire pressure so why use it if I have to have them fix it all the time I tell them to over air them so I can set it in the morning. but by a week or two The pressure is off aegean Air regular air work's just as well IMO. now if you are one that never check air use nitrogen.

The nitrogen is caroseve. oxidant too much also disintegrated the valve stem had to take off the tire this winter not fun never had regular air do that.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nitrogen is not corrosive.

With regard to maintaining tire pressure, the reason it should help is that a large concentration gradient of oxygen is formed. If oxygen can seep through the walls of the tire OUT, then it can permeate IN as well. When you fill a closed space with no oxygen, it will attempt to equilibrate that space with the outside environment, assuming the walls are permeable.

So the tires may be filled with 95-100% nitrogen, but I'm willing to bet they don't stay that way. Oxygen from the outside constantly would be trying to enter and make the concentrations the same between the inside and outside.

And Oxygen is not combustible. Oxygen does not burn, but nothing burns in its absence.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess science guy time. So in Blockdoc explanation oxygen molecules seeping in. This is possible if the outside air pressure were equal to the inside air pressure. Since tires are pressurized the seep in can not occur. So about the air we breathe, 78% nitrogen.
Here are 10 gases that make up clean air: In order of highest to lowest concentration they are Nitrogen, Oxygen, Argon, Carbon dioxide, Neon, Helium, Methane (CH4), Krypton, Hydrogen, and Xenon. About 20% of the air we breathe is oxygen, the remaining 2% is the other gases... Nitrogen filling is simply trying to remove the oxygen atoms from the air in the tire. Oxygen can be reactive to certain metals and if you are using a metal oxygen would find corrosive you should run pure nitrogen fill in these applications. Since no car wheels or liners are using anything that oxygen would corrode nitrogen gas fill is a gimmick for the average driver. Little to no benefit is gained using it and it just means if you need to put air in to your tires and use nitrogen then you need to seek a nitrogen fill station. Everyone else can simply fill the tires with any compressed air source and still are getting 78% nitrogen... Although oxygen itself will not burn, it is an accelerant and used to make things that burn, burn hotter and faster...

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I stand corrected - you are right; oxygen moving across its concentration gradient will be influenced by pressure. PV = nRT to be exact.

And about oxygen and combustability - some things that will not burn in atmospheric conditions (such as a PVC tube), are quite combustible in an oxygen-enriched environment. I just try to correct when I hear people say that oxygen burns - it doesn't.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Air...never heard of someone " nitrogening down"....

Do you even nitrogen bro?

Lol. Plus the people who air down on a fairly close basis, they would have to put air back in. Might as well just stick with air all the time. Unless you never air down.