tires oxygen verses nitrogen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rojo212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only ask cause that's what my truck came with. I would prefer to put air. $30 a tire to fill em at the dealership.

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked air is still free! I've heard of filling car tires with nitrogen, but never on a Raptor.

mouldman1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i forgot where i saw it but it was on a mythbusters type of show...anyway the benefits of filling tires with nitrogen are confirmed...problem is that you have to fill it with 100% nitrogen which is impossible to do because there will always be air in the tire. So unless you can mount the tire in a nitrogen rich atmosphere or find a way to remove all the air from the tire before filling it with nitrogen its basically pointless.

LastLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I filled my BFG MT 33s on my other truck with Nitrogen because i heard that they did not leak like air does as the temps get colder.

Didn't work for me. As soon as it got cold outside I lost tire pressure considerably. Needing to fill them up and not having a nitrogen compressor I just filled them up with air and my TPMS sensors reset themselves.

I am not convinced of its use yet. Dealer will refill my tires with nitrogen the next time I stop in.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The air you breathe and compressed air are 78% nitrogen anyways... Short of purging the 78% air out and refilling with Nitrogen then your not going to see much change on normally street driven tires.. in racing you see a difference but these are trying to cut hundredths of a second which in the real world is just not much for us...

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Back when I was heavy into auto x, I had looked into nitrogen filled tires, and the best way you could do it is getting rims that had capability of 2 valve stems oppisite of each other (I think 949racing's 6UL rims had them). Position them at 12 & 6 and you can purge the air with nitrogen for a 100% nitrogen fill. Simple but effective.

But otherwise useless for our trucks.

AggieSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitrogen's main benefit is just to make the tires last longer. Air causes the tires to corrode faster, but nitrogen doesn't.