TFL: Gen 3 + GT500 V8 is confirmed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agree - and also companies like Ford are developing ECUs that are reportedly going to essentially be tamper-proof.

https://carbuzz.com/news/the-ford-bronco-may-be-impossible-to-tune

You can just run a stand alone ECU to control the engine and leave the stock ECU there to run the non-engine stuff. They already do that when you go past the limit of the factory ECU. There is always a way. The challenge with an F150 right now would be controlling the 10 speed transmission. You would need a stand alone TCU as well, and I do not know of one for the 10 speed. Assuming Baumann will make one- at that point, you'd have a system that is *way* more tunable than any factory setup. So while it will drive the costs up to mod, it's certainly not all downsides.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're going after the Honda Ridgeline. LOL

We might laugh but thats actually a pretty sizable market. I think Honda has moved 30k+ units from 2016 to 2019 and about 20k this past year. They are VERY popular among people who want a pickup bed but don't want to drive a full sized truck. It has independent suspension front and rear for a super smooth ride and has added storage under the bed. The same types who like the Honda Ridgeline would probably eat up a truck like the Rivian, especially since Tesla made zero attempt at modesty with the Cybertruck.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We might laugh but thats actually a pretty sizable market. I think Honda has moved 30k+ units from 2016 to 2019 and about 20k this past year. They are VERY popular among people who want a pickup bed but don't want to drive a full sized truck. It has independent suspension front and rear for a super smooth ride and has added storage under the bed. The same types who like the Honda Ridgeline would probably eat up a truck like the Rivian, especially since Tesla made zero attempt at modesty with the Cybertruck.
Agreed, some people just like ugly!!

Hdscreens

Reaction score
I never understand when a new vehicle or product is in development and the manufacturers try to keep it a secret rather than just giving out as many details as possible as soon as possible? If the idea is that buyers will not purchase what is currently on the shelf cause they will hold out for the newer one. Well that’s just silly cause the bigger concern should be that they will purchase from another manufacturer that has the current new product.

For example, if Ford was actually doing the V8 in raptor and announced it weeks ago I’m sure some would have held off from even considering or ordering TRX. Not all buyers of course but it would have taken some wind out of its sells (sails).

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It just seems no manufacturer wants to talk about any vehicle that hasn’t been introduced or released yet. These days, you may get teasers but that’s about it and normally they are useless at that.

I guess it goes back to the old days. They don’t want anyone to steal there ideas, designs or tech before they come to market first with it. In this day and age, anything can be replicated and reversed engineered in a short time. I give you the TRX!!!!!! A lot of it was taken from the Raptor and Raminized. Sure I give them the motor part and even the multi link coil rear. But a lot was a reworked copy.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure a big part of it is to avoid stolen tech, but as well, not every decision is made yet, and people don't like to get their hopes up only to be disappointed. Ford probably has not completed decided they are going to do a V8 SC in the Raptor yet, how limited of a release it will be if so, and when it will be available to the public. Better to hold everything till you can answer every question, or give out information that turns out to not be true.

There's also the idea that 'hype' only lasts so long. I've seen commentary that Ford made a mistake by announcing the Bronco almost a year in advance and taking preorders. When we do actually see Broncos on the road, it won't be that big of a deal anymore. Some may get tired of waiting and go get a jeep instead. In the case of something like the cybertruck and Rivian, how many of those preorders won't happen because the customer is no longer excited about it?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In this day and age, anything can be replicated and reversed engineered in a short time. I give you the TRX!!!!!!

Wait a minute. Wasn't it something like five years ago that RAM showed off the concept? Now the Chinese or the Koreans could do it in five months from a blank sheet of paper, so I get your point. It took Fiat half of forever to hire someone else to do the suspension and to drop in an existing motor.