TFL: Gen 3 + GT500 V8 is confirmed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their video says "their inside source" confirmed this... and also a hybrid V6 Twin-Turbo + Electric engine (Powerboost set up similar to the Aviator). However, V8 version as a limited edition model.

I'd go for the V6TT + Powerboost.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if true...it is what the smart ones of us said.......The "Raptor" as we know it......is NOT getting the GT500 sc V8. The "Raptor" will once again be a TT V6 but with hybrid tech to boost power.

This V8 sc truck is a one off, and not a "Raptor"...but will do what is needed to keep the TRX from taking any marketshare.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if true...it is what the smart ones of us said.......The "Raptor" as we know it......is NOT getting the GT500 sc V8. The "Raptor" will once again be a TT V6 but with hybrid tech to boost power.

This V8 sc truck is a one off, and not a "Raptor"...but will do what is needed to keep the TRX from taking any marketshare.

WTF are you talking about? One off? You know they build their engines in multiple of thousands, right?

It's somehow not a "Raptor" anymore if it has a S/C V8?

We aren't talking about McClaren or some tiny outfit. This is Ford. The number one seller of trucks during your entire lifetime.

If true, the Raptor will now have two engine choices is an accurate statement.

RaptorAddict1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I figured the Gen 3 would definitely be some sort of high output powerboost. But I am starting to think they will offer two powertrain options with the V8 being expensive and somewhat rare. As with anything there has to be the business case. I think in this situation Ford would benefit big time by offering two powertrains. This way they can appeal to everyone. No matter what happens I'm happy because the Raptor will only get better regardless of the powertrain...Ecoboost, Powerboost, or V8 it will get better.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
I think it makes a lot of sense for them to do this.

The Powerboost only makes 41hp. And maybe they reliably squeeze another 50 out of the Ecoboost for an even 500hp. So 541hp at most, but they'll have to call it 500hp + 41hp, because typically the max system power will be nowhere close to that because the torque curves on the gas and electric motors won't match.

Stick the blown V8 in 15% of them and charge 20k-30k extra for it. They'll be priced right up against the Ram, but without making the Raptor generally unaffordable to us proles.

Personally I'd still buy the "lame little V6". I do miss the V8 sound of my 6.2L but I'd rather save the $30k and buy a base model Mustang GT that would still be faster than the TRX or V8 Raptor, and more fun to drive on-road (which is the only place you can use 700hp with less than two feet of suspension travel).

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It makes sense to make the V8 a limited edition, since that's going to build interest and somewhat test the waters to see what sort of market there is for this. The TFL prediction was that the will make the V8 less limited if the demand is greater.

The price is really going to be the biggest deciding factor I think. There will be those that don't care about price and just grab the V8 if they think it's the best out there. The rest will look at the V6 if it's near the price of gen 2's. If it's not, then I think people will just hold on to Gen 2s....assuming there isn't a noticeable performance difference between Gen 2 and Gen 3 (hybrid).

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Powerboost only makes 41hp. And maybe they reliably squeeze another 50 out of the Ecoboost for an even 500hp. So 541hp at most, but they'll have to call it 500hp + 41hp, because typically the max system power will be nowhere close to that because the torque curves on the gas and electric motors won't match.

Are you talking about the powerboost the standard F150 is getting or the "HO output" the avator has they they are talking about putting in the Raptor?